NO Ammonia

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I started a 55 gallon tank thirteen days ago and have eight fish in it for six days. It has not showed any Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate. The fish have been fed twice daily and seems to me should be producing enough waste. I have used quite a bit of gravel and and a decoration from my already established tank even putting gravel in the filter. Should it take this long? My ten gallon did not. Will it hurt to do water changes with no readings of ammonia? I have done one already. Any help would be appreciated I am getting frustrated.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

What fish are in the tank? If they're small like zebra danios, it would take longer to build up ammonia than in a 10 gallon.

Water changes are always good to protect the fish.

What test kit are you using? Strips are often inaccurate.

If you could fill out your aquarium info in your profile, it'd help us help you more easily.

-Lisa

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello and welcome to Fishlore! After 13 days I would think you should have some sort of reading on something. However if you could clarify a few things we might be able to help you get to the bottom of this.

1. What test kit are you using? (also note expiration dates)
2. How many fish and of what species are in the tank?
3. Do you have live plants and if so, is the tank heavily planted?
4. What have you added to the tank? (i.e. water conditioners, chemicals, bacterial supplements)

As for the water changes, I don't think they would hurt. When cycling with fish it is generally recommended to do daily water change and even without an ammonia reading I can't see how fresh, clean water would be a bad thing unless you added TSS.

If you click on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar at the top of the page then EDIT AQUARIUM INFO and fill in the information there it will help alot.

Ninja'd by Lisa!

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 2 Cory cats, 5 serpae tetra and one guppy. I use Stress Coat+ for water changes and I have API Master Test kit. The kit is a few years old but i still get nitrate readings in my other tank. The tank is not planted.

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmmm. All I can think is that perhaps your bio load is low enough that either there has not been enough ammonia produced to measure in that sized tank or that the seeded gravel contained enough bacteria to convert the ammonia and nitrite, but there has not been enough converted to measure nitrate. With already low levels of nitrate combined with water changes, your nitrate level may just be too low to measure with the kit. Make sure that you are REALLY banging nitrate bottle #2. If the test kit is dated more than 3 years ago then it is not 100% reliable regardless of whether or not it tests positive for nitrate on your other tank. Your nitrate test could be testing lower than what it really is, or your ammonia and nitrite tests could also be giving you false zeros. All I can suggest is to keep testing. You will get a reading of something eventually. Depending on what bacteria was transferred with your seeded gravel, you may skip ammonia and nitrite altogether and go straight to nitrate readings.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's right, I *am* a .

Hmm, those are some rather small fish compared to a 55 gallon so maybe it's still building up? Otherwise I'm not sure why you're not seeing any ammonia. Hopefully someone else will come along with a good explantion soon.

-Lisa

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Use mollies, I believe what you have is too small of a bioload for a 55 gallon.

Scody181

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I bought a new API Master Test kit. I did a water change yesterday and still testing all zeros. Considering purchasing another fish to increase the bio load.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Go the molly or catfish/cory. Messy things they are! If you don't want to buy another fish, you can just slap an algae wafer in your filter. It'll start rotting in 1 day and bump up your ammonia. Wrap it in your filter wool so it doesn't float out. If you put it in in the morning, test your ammonia the next morning. Usually takes 12-18hours for them to start producing ammonia.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads