No Ammonia, No Nitrite, High Nitrate

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishKeepingDad, Jun 21, 2018.

1. F

FishKeepingDad New Member Member

As the title says. I tested my 29g tonight and this is the read out. Aside from the Nitrates being high i think it looks good from what I've read. Any other opinions? Still learning exactly what to look for.

Attached Files:

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Looks good. Do a water change to lower the nitrates.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Okay will do. 25% or so? Or more?

4. bryangar

I mean if you don’t have fish in it, you can do a bigger water change, up to 90% if you’d like. It looks like you’re all done with your cycling process so you can start adding fish. Don’t add too many at a time.

5. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Do a 50% at most if there are fish in the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    F

This tank isn't stocked yet so I went ahead and did a 75% water change. Thanks for the feedback. The strange thing is i tested the water again and the nitrates are still high. I tested my tap water for nitrates too and they were high as well. Think that has an impact? What can i do to bring those down? The left vial is tap and right is tank water.

Attached Files:

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Get nitrazorb. And if you’re on a municipal water supply call your water supplier and ask why you’re drinking tap water with 40ppm nitrates.

8. OP
    OP
    F

Good point. I will look into picking some of that up. I'm wondering if my test is accurate though honestly. No way the water from my tap should have that level of nitrate.

9. bryangar

What color is your tap? 10-20? It’s not high enough to cause problems but you should try to lower it before adding it to your tank.

There are many ways to lower it. You can fill a bucket a day or 2 before you do you weekly water change, and add a pothos plants. It’s mostly sold at places like walmart or home depot. You can take it out of the pot and place a few stems im there and it should remove the nitrate and any other toxins. That is the most common, natural way. Others would be using chemicals. I’m not so sure about what kind but you can check it out. Are you on well water?

10. OP
    OP
    F

No I'm on city water. In an apartment. I think i like the natural method more? by I'll check in to both options. Thanks again. Ive seen plenty about the pothos plant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice