no algae

cosmic dust

Reaction score
So I know I shouldn't complain that I've got no algae, but I wonder if I should be concerned? What I read when I was setting up my tank was that all new tanks go through a stage with serious algae problems. My tanks been set up for over 2 months now & I haven't seen a scrap of algae....is there something wrong?!
ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate low
Thanks

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky. I've had several tanks go through a terrible spell of diatoms (the brown gooey algae you're speaking of) when first set up and also have had some never run into that problem. Having algae or not having it doesn't reflect a poor tank.

LarryDavid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha many would love to be in your position!

Make sure you check it in a few days also as it sounds as though it might still be cycling so they may not stay the way it is

JP

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually, it sounds as if it has made it through the break-in period (cycling). Zero ammonia and nitrIte and a nitrAte reading is what you want to see. :)

cosmic dust

Reaction score
Ha Ha.....I think I just jinxed myself! Now I have brown algae beginning to grow all over the glass and rocks in my tank!!!!
So the problem now is that I just added aquarium salts to help one of my platies with fin rot & that means I can't put any kind of catfish in, right? Is there any kind of algae eater thats okay with salt? (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) & will fit in a 30 gallon tank? If not, how can I get rid of it?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't know of any algae eaters that like salt.
Could I ask why you didn't move the platy to the quarantine tank to treat it?
After the salt treatment is over and all teh salt out of the tank Otos would love the brown (diatoms) algae.
Carol

cosmic dust

Reaction score
Well, I was told that all my fish would benefit from the salt & since I didn't have an algae problem I wasn't planning on adding any fish that didn't like salt!
Actually, it was lucky I didn't move my fish across to the q-tank. I decided to turn the temp up in my q-tank to get ready for my sick Platy & it seems the heater exploded in the night! The fish tanks are at my office so I wasn't there when it happened, but when I got here this morning, the heater was all black inside & when I pulled it out, the bottom inch of glass was completely apart from the rest!
Anyway, if I add no more salt & do 2 10 -15% water changes a week, how long until my tank will be suitable for some algae eaters?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom