No algae whatsoever. Can't figure it out.

Peg

I have a new 55 gallon freshwater aquarium that I set up almost 2 months ago. I transfered one filter from my old tank along with some rocks and one plastic plant to speed up the cycling process. That seems to have worked. I have had some low ammonia levels, but never any nitrites, and have had nitrates after the first week. I'm concerned because there is absolutely no algae growth at all. The plant that I transferred from the old tank had quite a bit of algae on it and it is slowly dying. I've never had this happen before. My water is soft and the ph stays at 6.0. Alkalinity is low and there is still some ammonia which also concerns me after two months. I expected the cycling to be complete by now. I have not added any new fish. I have an 8" pleco, which I'm having to feed algae wafers, and a 5" blood parrot (did not buy it, someone gave it to me). The fish seem fine. Any opinions on this?

shollia

Maybe there is too much ammonia so it's prohibiting the growth of the bacteria and such?
Are you putting any kind of plant food into the tank? Like a liquid fertilizer?
Uhm.. yeah I dunno what could be wrong.

Peg

I've never had high ammonia levels in this tank, and no I haven't added any fertilizer. I don't have any live plants. I have two other smaller tanks that always have algae growth in them. I also leave the lights on for about 12 hours each day so lack of light is not the problem either. Thanks for replying

tan.b

I think algae tends to be a problem with excess phosphates which tends to come from un eaten food. how long are your fish taking to eat the food? also maybe your plec is so efficient he's not letting the algae develop as he's eating it as fast as its growing? its gobbled up before you see it?!

just my ideas?!

susitna-flower

HI Peg, I wouldn't worry about it.  I wish all tanks could be algae free!  Sounds like your pleco is doing his job, and you just have to make sure he is getting enough to eat with the wafers to supplement.  It is also an indication the nitrate levels aren't out of control.  Give your tank time, don't add any new fish until the ammonia and nitrite are 0, then test after any addition.  If the ammonia comes back up, add Stress Zyme or Cycle to give the bacteria a boost.  Sounds like you are doing a good job.    lol !!

Peg

I don't think it's the Pleco because I had him in a smaller tank for 3 years and he never took care of all the algea. I also waited a month after setting this tank up before moving him into it. I wanted some algae to grow for him first which never happened. I feed them well, and when I do gravel vacs, I usually suck out some uneaten pellets, so the algae should have plenty to eat as well. Maybe I should just be thankful that I don't have to scrub down the tank walls before I vacuum, but it's so strange that I'm worried something is seriously wrong.

ewolfe315

The only place where I see algae in my tanks are on the glass hoods just under the lights. A little but not much.

John

Butterfly

Most algae growth is from excess nutrients and excess light. Sounds to me like your doing an excellent job with tank maintenance such as water changes and gravel vacuums. The larger the tank is the easier it is to take care of and keep the chemical(ammonia, nitrites, nitrates) levels where they should be.
Carol

Peg

Thanks everyone for all the opinions. I've decided to stop worrying about it and just enjoy my incredibly clean tank.
Peg

Butterfly

Good for you
Carol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom