No AC

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by armymil, Aug 8, 2014.

1. armymilValued MemberMember

So, my a.c. went out and is out until Saturday. It's been out since Wed. I haven't seen any expired fish but am I right to assume to let them stay in the 88 degree water? They went from 74 degree but since it is summer in Oklahoma, the inside is about 10-20 degree difference than outside. I'm afraid to change the water parameters.

What have you done?

I have guppies, platies, ghost catfish, oto, and danios. Most are from Asia if not all.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Add an airstone...warmer water has less oxygen.

I have seen people mention clip on fans or pointing a fan toward to the tank.
    Never tried this myself though.

Lights can warm up the water so you might want to limit the amount of time they are on.

Good luck!

3. OP
    OP
    a

armymilValued MemberMember

4. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

The plants can go a few days without any light and definitely will be fine with minimal light for a few days. No different than in nature when a storm front rolls through and it's overcast for a few days.

Also the fans will really help. Have them blow right across the surface and this will help with evaporative cooling and drop the temps 5 degrees or so. As mentioned an air stone will help with surface movement too.

5. OP
    OP
    a

armymilValued MemberMember

Thanks! Good point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice