NLS foods all the same?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Akari_32, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

So I was looking for some NLS pellets for the fishies today (Petco has them on sale, btw!!) and I compared the ingredients of the Goldfish, Large/Medium Fish, and one other (I forget, sorry!) and they were all the same! Everything was in the exact same spots, and everything. I did not see any Thera+ A to compare though, or the betta pellets. Would have loved to compare those as well.

But anyways, doesn't seem kind of weird that it's all exactly the same? Just goes to show you how well marketing works, and why you should read the labels on your pet foods...

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Maybe the ingredients are just in different proportions on the 2 products. :;dete

All I have is Thera+A and h20 stable wafers so I can't check!

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I always read labels on any food products (including MY food). :)

4. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Did you look at protein % and all that?

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There are subtle differences between the products, but as matt eluded to, the order in which the ingredients are listed does not indicate what the composition percentages are.

From their website:

6. C

I know that NLS Cichlid and NLS Small fish formula are very different from each other.

7. A

I'm tellin' ya... You cannot go wrong with Kensfish.com on buying the food from him. It's cheaper, and the ingredients and what you'd need for requirements with your fishes are even better!

8. Jaysee

Label information can be very misleading.

more about general label information

Hahaha, good things are rarely cheap, and cheap things are rarely good ;)

9. A

I disagree with that!

If you do your research, and read thoroughly you will know differently. Just saying! :)

10. Jaysee

I didn't come up with that saying....

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Eh, I read the ingredients listed in Ken's brand food and I was not very happy with them. I'll stick to my NLS and homemade foods, thank you very much! Lol

The protein content was not something I looked at. Good call on that! I was looking for my pond goldfish, so that's really something that needs attention paid to LOL In the end, i got them a medium sized can of the large fish pellets.

12. Jaysee

My dad told me a story the other day, from his childhood. Back in his day, Chuck Taylor all stars were THE basketball shoe. Money was tight so she got him the knock offs. Well, he tore the first pair making a cut the first time out. So he got a replacement pair, which tore a few days later. She then got him the Converses.

I've bought lot of things over the years, and all too often when I cheap out on something, I wind up having to go back and buy the more expensive thing in the not too distant future. Of course there are always exceptions, and just because something is more expensive doesn't make it better. But, often the reason things are more expensive is because they are made with higher quality materials. Again, that's not a rule that's set in stone, but it is generally true that you get what you pay for.

13. A

If you looked on Kensfish and came to that conclusion, then you were looking at fish food that didn't have the proper ingredients. The fish food that I get from them is better (ingredients, percentages, etc) than store bought. To each their own.

My fish are content and very healthy and that is all that matters. :)

14. A

I agree with you to a degree. Sometimes cheaper things can prove to be better than some of the expensive items, but I do buy some things that are more expensive. It just depends on what it is.

My father used to express the same "values" to me. Most parents do. It's how the majority of us were raised. On the flip side, there are cheap good things and there are cheap bad things. It's all a matter of what it is or who it is that you are buying it for.

I'm old enough and experienced enough to know the differences most of the time.

15. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I was looking at his brand stuff. Some of it didn't even have an ingredients list, which I also didn't like. what did you get that you like so much?

16. A

For the fish food that I looked at, it lists the complete ingredients. The bags I have ordered from that website even has the ingredients in full on the bag.

The food I have gotten for my Mbunas: Vegetable Flakes with less than 40% Protein (which they need) and with the light doses of vegetables (Cucumber, Carrot, etc) that is needed as well. On top of that, I got the 1.5 (size) Cichlid Pellets (small enough to digest).

For my Catfish, I got Catfish pellets with the right amount of algae and other vegetables that are needed for the staple diet.

You may not find what you need for your fishes, but I have had great success with KensFish. :)

17. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Protein is often the deciding factor in determining which food is for which fish. For example, in the wild bettas eat bugs and such, so their food has a much higher protein content than the food for a vegetarian fish.

I do agree that generally you get what you pay for, and a cheaper product is cheaper because the materials are cheaper, but if Ken is taking less of a cut for himself, then that would lower the price. I've only fed NLS so I cannot make an opinion. :)

18. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I have the NLS betta pellets at home, so I compared the protein and everything to the large fish pellets I bought, and everything was either the same or plus or minus one percent. Really nothing lol

19. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe large fish need a lot of protein too :p

20. C

I know the NLS Cichlid is 34% protein. NLS small fish formula is 47% protein. Those are the only ones I buy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice