Nitrogen cycle 29 Gallon Tank 

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just got my 25 gallon tank and I'm going to fill it up tomorrow to start the cycle. I bought tetra aquasafe dechlorinator stuff and top fin bacteria supplement. I'm going to add the dechlorinator to the water and wait to add the bacteria supplement 24 hours, I think that's what I read somewhere. anyways my question is about the filter setup. do I wait till the tank is cycled before putting in the carbon filter, or should I set up the filter before cycling? don't want to mess anything up

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HI asialh89,

I would set up the filter first so that the bacteria can collect in the filter.

I'm not quite sure what the top fin bacteria supplement will do for you. As far as I know the only bacteria supplement known to work is TetraSafe Start. How are you planning to cycle your tank?

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
definately fishless...i've read that using fish food isnt the best idea, so I'm thinking maybe pieices of shrimp..

my tetra safe start says it removes chlorine, but it also says it has bacteria in it. will that work to help the speed up the cycle. all this stuff is rather confusing to me but I want my fish to be healthy

I've merged your back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I cycled using shrimp in a new nylon stocking. It took me about a week and a half, but I also had a used filter cartridge from a previous tank, as well as gravel and a decoration from my cycled tank. Hope this helps

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I noticed that in your Aquarium Info you have a 10 gallon tank. If this tank is already established, you could put some gravel or a used filter cartridge into your 25 gallon to jump start the cycle.

Your aquarium info doesn't say if you know about the nitrogen cycle? If you haven't already read the article about it (https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm) I would highly reccomend reading it

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well I bought the tank used, and the old filter is still in it. I just don't know much about the persons tank setup- whether it had good water chemistry and whatnot. his pirahanas died awhile ago so the filter was not in use for quite awhile

yes I could use my filter from the 10 gallon I suppose. i've read up about the nitrogen cycle but when I first made this account I had no idea

I have all the liquid test kits already as well.

Merged back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's ok, when I first came to Fishlore I had no idea about the cycle either

That's great that you have the test kit already. Just to remind you, you want to have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 5-20 nitrates.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
my 10 gallon has those readings, so I guess it should be okay to use some of the gravel or the filter for my 25g cycle

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yup, I would reccomend using it. It will make the cycle go much faster

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm hoping it will be done cycling by the 6th, which will be my next trip to the city to purchase some more fish..

thanks for your advice. I'm looking forward to the stocking the tank properly! my first set up was an epic fail...wish I had known about this site prior to.

although my DG and betta are still kickin, and healthy. I'm going to keep the betta in the 10 gallon I think, and just move the DG into the 25g, however they get along fine with just the 2 of them in there, much to my suprise.

they were both bullied by my tiger barbs, it was a terrible situation but I was able to find the barbs another home

I've merged back to back posts.
Thanks!
Ken

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would think the tank would be cycled by then if you are using media from an already established tank.

Good thing you found the barbs a new home. They can get quite aggressive as you probably found out

Also, just so you know, you can push the edit button on the bottom of your post to add on to it instead of making back to back posts

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's ok, I'm sure the mods will be by to fix it

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh...didnt know that. lol thanks...
so one more question, if I'm using media from my other tank, does this mean I don't need to use aquasafe start or anything like that?

and yes I found out about the tiger barbs the hard way...the clerks at petsmart told me they would do fine with the betta, which I found out was pretty much the biggest fish taboo ever! so I'm no longer asking their advice that's for sure

abc123d30

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If you are using the media from your 10 gallon you won't need to add the bacteria suplement.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If the supplement you are talking about is Tetra SafeStart, then you can't do fishless cycling, you add it at the same time you add the fish.

If it is another kind you would have to read the directions, but be wary of the kind that say to add it weekly, because usually those kind have the wrong kinds of bacteria in them that only work for a while.

Your 10gal is fairly new (less than 3 months old), and you can't just take the filter out of it because then you would put your 10 through a mini-cycle (or possibly a major one). I'm guessing that you only have the standard filter for your 10, that means you can't cut it apart or only take part of it? It takes probably 4-8 weeks to seed a piece of filter media, so if you don't have extra in your 10 already then this option won't work for you

You should try to get your hands on Tetra SafeStart or consider running your 10 with no filter for a while. Either way it looks like you will be cycling one of your tanks sorry that I don't have better news for you.

In the future grab some extra sponges or filter media and stuff it behind your normal filters in each of your tanks, that way if anything ever happens (or you get another tank) you won't have to worry about cycling again.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
asialh89 said:
my tetra safe start says it removes chlorine, but it also says it has bacteria in it. will that work to help the speed up the cycle. all this stuff is rather confusing to me but I want my fish to be healthy
Hello,

I think you may have Tetra Safe Start (TSS) and Tetra AquaSafe confused. TSS does not remove chlorine however Tetra AquaSafe does. Check the bottle to see which one you have to be certain.

Best wishes,

Ken

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yes I do have aquasafe, unfortunately I won't be able to get safestart as I can't buy it here in my town.

my filter from my 10 gallon has been removed for a few days now because I was treating my fish for ich

what about adding some of the gravel and decor from the 10 gallon to the 25g as well?

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just did this to a 29 gallon. All of the decorations, gravel, plants all came from the 75 gallon. It has only been a few days but thus far the 29 is doing well and no spikes as of yet. I am doing daily PWC and still treating with Prime to be safe.

The fish all look great and thus far all is well. I would use whatever you could out of the exisiting tank to help the new tank move along faster.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads