15 Gallon Tank Nitrogen cycle

Sne
Hello! I setup a 15 gallon tank and filled it almost immediately with 10 guppies without letting it establish beneficial bacteria as i was not aware of it. The fishes were fine for 1 and half months after which a few of them died unexpectedly. Should i add any store bought bacteria as a starter or just let it cycle with the remaining fishes? The remaining fishes seem to be ok.

StinkyLoaf
Welcome to Fishlore! :)

It’s really your choice. Seeding the media with established bacteria colonies will jumpstart the cycle greatly, while fish-in cycling requires you to build the colonies yourself. Here is an article explaining the fish-in nitrogen cycle:
Tips for fish-in cycling your freshwater aquarium

I suggest you do both. Seed the media and it will allow you to fish-in cycle much easier. :)

Pfrozen
After a month and a half I would just put a bottled bacteria product in there and run a fish-in cycle. You may even have some kind of weak cycle going already after that long. I doubt it will take very long, just keep up with water changes and make sure that your ammonia+nitrite total stays under 1 ppm

Dechi
After six weeks the tank is most likely cycled, and the fish died from the trauma of living in it while it was cycling. The rest of the fish might survive, or not. Damage is already done.

Test your parameters to see what they are. Get yourself an API master test kit if you don’t already have one.

mattgirl
Welcome to Fishlore :)

As long as there is an ammonia source a tank will cycle whether we are watching it or not. The fish in there were producing the necessary ammonia. After 6 weeks it will surprise me if this tank isn't already cycled. Cycling a tank simply means growing ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria.

Sne
mattgirl said:
Welcome to Fishlore :)

As long as there is an ammonia source a tank will cycle whether we are watching it or not. The fish in there were producing the necessary ammonia. After 6 weeks it will surprise me if this tank isn't already cycled. Cycling a tank simply means growing ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria.
So it is better to not add store bought bottled bacteria right now.

mattgirl
Sne said:
So it is better to not add store bought bottled bacteria right now.
Without knowing more about this tank it is hard to say. How often have you been doing water changes? How much water do you change each time you do one? Are you able to test the water for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Without all this information it is next to impossible for us to know what to tell you.

Adding the bottled bacteria shouldn't be a problem but it may not be necessary.

Sne
Water changes are once a week. I only change around 30%.And i have ordered the test kit will update once i get the values.

mattgirl
Sne said:
Water changes are once a week. I only change around 30%.And i have ordered the test kit will update once i get the values.
Hopefully the test kit will let us know where this tanks cycle stands. It may be cycled but without the numbers we just can't know.

Sne
Tested the water. Values are good. Except for general hardness. It is very high.

Pfrozen
Sne said:
Tested the water. Values are good. Except for general hardness. It is very high.
That's okay for guppies, they prefer hard water. What do you mean by "good?" Is ammonia and nitrite at 0?

Latest threads

Top Bottom