10 Gallon Tank Nitrogen cycle

Tanz

Hi,
I had 2 zebra danios In 10gallon new tank, I bought it 12days ago 1 is dead I have only one now, I test my water every day I see ammonia=1-1.5ppm, no nitrite or nitrate, PH=7.5 I'm using API master kit water test, API quick start, top fin water conditioner. I change the water every 2day about 20-30%. my question is why I didn't see any nitrite or nitrate......is my tank cycling????

Cherryshrimp420

Yes your tank just started cycling....please read up on aquarium nitrogen cycling. This is the toughest time for fish so hopefully your danio can make it!

Tanz

So what should I do now it’s been 12-13 days I didn’t see nitrite??

Cherryshrimp420

Tanz said:
So what should I do now it’s been 12-13 days I didn’t see nitrite??
Just be patient the whole process takes 30+ days. You can try buying some bottled nitrifying bacteria and adding it to the tank. May speed up the process....

Tanz

Yeah I’m using Api quick start
I didn’t see any improvement coz nitrite should be present in 2 weeks but i didn’t see anything...is my tank in cycle??

Cherryshrimp420

Tanz said:
Yeah I’m using Api quick start
Ah I haven't seen many people have success with that product. I know at least one member had success with the Fritz products. Unfortunately, I can't say much about them as I've always just waited the 30 days or so

Tanz

Which one is the best bottle bacteria I can buy any suggestions........is seachem stability??

Candace

When and if you can I suggest trying Seachem Prime (to condition the water and help remove ammonia) and Seachem Stability (to help along with the cycling process and "stabilize" things). The products work great for me, I haven't really heard good things about topfin products and didn't have a good experience with api quickstart.

Tanz

So should I buy prime and stability??

Candace

Tanz said:
So should I buy prime and stability??
I'd definitely recommend it.

Tanz

Ok thank u so much
I have one more question is 1.5ppm ammonia is enough to cycle the tank...or should I add more...??

Candace

Tanz said:
Ok thank u so much
I have one more question is 1.5ppm ammonia is enough to cycle the tank...or should I add more...??
With the fish in I really recommend trying to keep ammonia as close to 1ppm as possible (but under is better), too high of Ammonia will harm or kill you fish so definitely don't add any. Your tank will get cycled even with a low ammonia source because the fish is in there.

Tanz

Ok thanks

Tanz

How long u think should take to complete the cycle?

mattgirl

JennCav

Tanz said:
Which one is the best bottle bacteria I can buy any suggestions........is seachem stability??
I started my first tank (20g) with Seachem stability along with Prime and yes it works. I’ve found one that I think is even better Fritz 7, that I used for my 7.5 g. I check my tanks often every couple of days now. They are both doing great. You can add fish with either of these. Just make sure to test water and have Prime or another water conditioner to keep water safe till bacteria builds up.

Tanz

Ok but how long should it takes bcoz it almost 13-14 days but I didn’t even see nitrite yet..?

mattgirl

Tanz said:
Ok but how long should it takes bcoz it almost 13-14 days but I didn’t even see nitrite yet..?
I think you are too fixated on seeing nitrites. It often take 3 weeks or more for nitrites to show up. Right now you have to get that ammonia down. I hope you didn't miss my original post.

Tanz

I get it and I know ammonia is toxic.......I will do water change like 20-30%
I have to wait that long to see nitrite

JennCav

I agree with Mattgirl. It took my 20g about 5-6 weeks I think. If you’re testing the water and treating with conditioner this will keep the water safe for the fish. Eventually the BB will establish and you won’t have to keep such a close eye on water perimeters and therefore should only need to add with WC
Also I think it’s important to add your water conditioner such as Prime to tap first, then add Bacteria such as Stability in.
Tanz said:

mattgirl

Tanz said:
I get it and I know ammonia is toxic.......I will do water change like 20-30%
I have to wait that long to see nitrite
You may have to be doing bigger water changes than that. If the ammonia is up to 1.5 a 50% water change will only get it down to .75 That is still too much. Another 50% will get it down to safer levels but still not as low as I would like to see it. It takes patience and when a fishes life is at stake, lots of water changes to cycle a tank.

Top Bottom