Help Nitrogen Cycle

RedTailedSharkLover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everyone and good morning. I'll start off witg my stocking. 10 Zebra Danios, 5 Emerald Green Corys, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark. 55 Gallon. I had this tank since August 3rd and added the danios 1st on the ith of August and each other approximately 1 week after the other in the order i mentioned in my stocking. It took me awhile to get my cycle going because I used 2 duds of Seachem Stability. I ordered some Tetra Safestart and used it on September 5th. My question is should i perform a water change now? Im not seeing any ammonia or nitrites but some Nitrates I believe and my water looks disgusting because of the tannins in my driftwood (really urking me ). I haven't done a water change since the 3rd of September. Here are my test tube reading. I am no expert but im learning day by day. To me the color indicator on the nitrates look likes its about 5.0. Nitrites are 0 and ammonia I cant really tell but it looks about 0 or .25. Thanks in advance.
1568213374918.jpg
1568213433993.jpg

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That’s sounds right. A lot of people including myself sometimes see a very slight tinge of green in the ammonia api kits and it’s never seemed to have been a problem so we all have basically called .25 the “new” zero for the ammonia test . Do you have pics of your tank it’s sounds like you have an interesting bunch in there!!

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone and good morning. I'll start off witg my stocking. 10 Zebra Danios, 5 Emerald Green Corys, 10 Tiger Barbs, 1 Red Tailed Black Shark. 55 Gallon. I had this tank since August 3rd and added the danios 1st on the ith of August and each other approximately 1 week after the other in the order i mentioned in my stocking. It took me awhile to get my cycle going because I used 2 duds of Seachem Stability. I ordered some Tetra Safestart and used it on September 5th. My question is should i perform a water change now? Im not seeing any ammonia or nitrites but some Nitrates I believe and my water looks disgusting because of the tannins in my driftwood (really urking me ). I haven't done a water change since the 3rd of September. Here are my test tube reading. I am no expert but im learning day by day. To me the color indicator on the nitrates look likes its about 5.0. Nitrites are 0 and ammonia I cant really tell but it looks about 0 or .25. Thanks in advance.View attachment 587021View attachment 587022
Hard to tell because the tubes are against a dark background. Stand the white paper up behind the tubes, not under them, to photograph them and it is easier to read them. But it does look like you have low levels of ammonia and nitrates.
I agree, you need a 50% water change, once a week, regardless of your test results.

RedTailedSharkLover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That’s sounds right. A lot of people including myself sometimes see a very slight tinge of green in the ammonia api kits and it’s never seemed to have been a problem so we all have basically called .25 the “new” zero for the ammonia test . Do you have pics of your tank it’s sounds like you have an interesting bunch in there!!
It definitely looks like a slight tinge of green now that I poured the water out in the sink and looked closer. Should I do a water change or should i wait the whole 2 weeks which would be on the 19th?. The tannins are worrying me. I do have pictures. I love my shark and barbs the most but the corys are growing on me. The danios are the life of the tank. I need to get a background. Dont judge me
1568214288381.jpg
1568214387051.jpg

RedTailedSharkLover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hard to tell because the tubes are against a dark background. Stand the white paper up behind the tubes, not under them, to photograph them and it is easier to read them. But it does look like you have low levels of ammonia and nitrates.
I agree, you need a 50% water change, once a week, regardless of your test results.
Thanks bud. You're right. The nitrates are 5.0 and the ammonia is about .25. Low levels. Thanks again

I think it looks great! A black background would make everything stand out. I agree with the above you should do at least 50% WC’s once a week. I don’t go more than a week on any of my tanks personally
I was actually going to get a black background but the wife wants more color. Thanks for the advice. I'll do the water change sometime tonight before lights out. Again thank you all

Last edited by a moderator:

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was actually going to get a black background but the wife wants more color. Thanks for the advice. I'll do the water change sometime tonight before lights out. Again thank you all
Nice tank, I like your selection of fish (missed the pics the first go-round) and a black background would be nice, but royal blue, teal or maroon would be nice too (for the wife).

RedTailedSharkLover

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The one with a black background is, it makes the colors of the fish and plants standout.
That actually makes tons of sense. I'll give it a shot. It wouldnt hurt to buy 2 background and compare. Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 21 72.4%

Top Bottom