nitrogen cycle

emm

Reaction score
Im Emm and I just got my first 10 gallon fish tank ((itz 10 gallons just to start and then my grandfather is going to give me his old 55 gallon)) The guy at the fish store said the the cycle should be done in one month, the water should get cloudy after 2 weeks and then itll balance out ((according to Fish Store Joe)) Its been 2 weeks and the water is chrystal clear. I've read and reread all the stuff about the nitrogen cycle, I even asked my science teacher about it and he said it made sense and should happen. I dont know. I have 4 fish, 3 zebra danios and one cory cat. My mom doesn't get why Im so upset about clear fish tank water. The pH is also low, about 6.2 according to the test. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Does clear water mean Im doing something wrong? Or right?
HELP! ???

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
If you are worried at all about how the tank cycling is progressing , you should take a clean bottle or similiar container not a juice bottle a drinking water bottle is good enough, and take some of your tank water and fill the bottle, take it to your fish store and they should tell you exactly how far on the cycle is, and tell you the right steps to take, this would be the quickest way for you at the minute then you can come back here and the experts can guide you in your new hobby, so go get a sample to put your mind at rest,

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
At least your tank isn't green! lol. Our tank was green for months! AHH!
Let us know how the water tests!
~Jamie

emm

Reaction score
thanks for the tips!!
;D

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you're able to, you can also buy your own test kit and test the water yourself. You'd need tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to know the progress of the cycle. I personally recommend liquid tests rather then test strips, though it's up to you which kind you'll buy.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you take water to the fish store get them to tell you the actual readings instead of "its ok" or "it's not ok" then we can discuss your readings, how far you are in your cycle and such. You may have to take a pen and paper to write it down because these readings may be confusing to you. Just some thoughts.
Carol

emm

Reaction score
went to the fish store
the girl there sed that the cycle was half through, but that my pH was high...
i got stuff to bring it down and did a water change at home.
thx guys! ;D

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi emm i don't believe it is a good idea to muck around with altering p h levels as if thats the natural ph levels then your fish will adjust to it otherwise you will have to keep dosing to keep them steady but as far as i am aware if you chemically alter them this causes alot of fluctuations which does alot more harm than good and causes more stress to the fish this is what we believe to be true but not 100% sure maybe someone will correct us or verify what i have just said good luck

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sasha is right. It's better to keep a stable pH - even if it's lower or higher from what you'd like it to be - than to have a constantly fluctuating pH. Fish will adjust to a different pH over time. What will kill fish faster is a pH that changes a lot. To keep the pH at the level you want it to be, you'll need to keep adding the commercial product to your tank all the time. This means that you'll have to know how much of this product to add to water with EACH eater change. This will most surely create fluctuations in pH. Besides, a pH adjuster is just another chemical you're adding to your water, which is not good.

They said the cycle is "halfway through". Can you tell me what exactly they tested your water for and can you list the exact results?

emm

Reaction score
errrr im not sure....
i took a water sample to the fish store ((its a good one, family store)) and they tested it for me. The girl working there said the cycle was "halfway through" ((??)) She said the bacteria was developing but there was still some nitrite and a little ammonia but nitrates was good. She said the cycle would be totally done and safe to put in new fish in about 3 weeks... but she also said to try and bring down the pH

I only put a little bit of the salt solution in so far... ill stop now. thx for all your advice. im only 14 and i tend to believe what the store people tell me... well thank you for the help

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
People here could help you in a better way, if you can come up with the readings. Good lluck emm..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom