Nitrogen Cycle

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi guys so I left my water for about a week with filter running.,, then I bought api quick start and put some of that in! A couple days later I put ammonia in and added more api quick start... it’s now been 10 days and the ammonia is still the exact same! I’m using the api freshwater testing kit.., what should I do? My cycle won’t start! Thanks for help in advance!!

TheMadScientist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It can take time its took my 50 gal 4 weeks to start cycle
i would monitor it daily to see if nitrites are present, If so it has begun then you have to wait for nitrites to begin converting to nitrates

TheMadScientist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow! Thanks... so I shouldn’t add anything? I was going to add more api quickstart... my tank is 10h
Plus how much ammonia are you adding I don't know exact numbers but if I am not mistaken like teaspoons or less. But I'm new to. I just added food like I was feeding to do mine. Api was told to be cheating lol.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Plus how much ammonia are you adding I don't know exact numbers but if I am not mistaken like teaspoons or less. But I'm new to. I just added food like I was feeding to do mine. Api was told to be cheating lol.
Haha I just added 1ml because that’s what the calculator told me to add... haven’t added anything more since that first ml

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
What kind of filter? Did you use water conditioner? How many ppms of ammonia are you seeing? The filter has been running through all of this correct?
I have the aqueon quiet filter... didn’t use water conditioner because i have prime and it will disrupt the cycle as I read! I had 4ppm when I first put it in and still to this day I have 4ppm and yes filter has been running through the whole process! Thanks for your help.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Prime is considered water conditioner 4ppm is too high for your bacteria to catch up to. I'd do a water change down to like 1-2ppm. Also, aqueons don't have a lot of surface area in the filter for bacteria to colonize, so it'll take longer.

Savwingrove

Valued Member
Reaction score
Prime is considered water conditioner 4ppm is too high for your bacteria to catch up to. I'd do a water change down to like 1-2ppm. Also, aqueons don't have a lot of surface area in the filter for bacteria to colonize, so it'll take longer.
Okay!!! Will do that tomorrow!!! Thank you!!!

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used to be sort of ambivalent on whether cycle starters were worthwhile. I always did fish-in, 25% water changes every other day, and kept an eye on parameters. My tanks all cycled in five to six weeks, progressed steadily, no muss no fuss, no ammonia spikes.

Since I've been reading the questions on this forum, the more I read the firmer my conclusion that cycle starters and other cycle additives are worse than worthless. There are several people every day who can't understand why their tanks won't cycle, and 100% of them are using cycle additives.

I'd recommend letting nature take its course, either with fish in, or pure ammonia, or just put some fish food in every day. I know that works. Sheesh. I can't keep up with all the people having problems with cycle starters. Something's just so wrong about the whole thing.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom