Nitrogen Cycle

1. DDANIELLVN

DDANIELLVN New Member Member

I have a 50 gallon tank that has white cloudy water. The water was tested and is balanced except for ammonia. I have also learned that the Nitrogen cycle can take 6 weeks or so but I have already placed my fish in the tank since I was moving from a 30 gallon to a 50 gallon. My fish are not showing any signs of distress. I read in the freshwater book, that I downloaded from this site, that a tip to help this cycle along was to use a used filter from a cycled established tank. I have added an extra pump along with that used filter this evening. Hoping all goes well soon. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. c

chrish828 Valued Member Member

First of all, the water could be cloudy from a bacterial bloom (but I doubt this in your case since you just started) or excess dirt and dust from your substrate. The cloudiness should disappear soon. If you used your used filter, the cycle should go extremely quickly or even immediately. If your fish can tolerate it, crank up your heater since the bacteria thrive at higher temperatures. When any of the parameters get too high, do a water change to protect your fish. I would also suggest prime or any other ammonia or nitrite binding substance. Good luck!

3. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome :)

The white cloudiness to me definitely sounds like a bacterial bloom especially if you are in the middle of cycling. Was the 30g cycled? If so, transferring the cycled media right into the 50g's filter would have given you an instant cycle assuming no new fish were added. Can you tell us your pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Raising the temp would be fine in a fishless cycle but since you have fish, I'm not sure I'd recommend it especially if they cannot tolerate higher temps.

4. OP
    OP
    DDANIELLVN

DDANIELLVN New Member Member

Thank you, I'll leave the temp as is. They all seem happy. I just don't like the look. We ran out of supplies so I had my water tested at the store and still walked out without my testing kit. I've noticed the water is already slightly improving over the past couple of hours. I'll definitely be picking up supplies after work tomorrow.