Nitrogen Cycle

1. M

Mollys423 New Member Member

I recently got a 29Gallon tank I have kicked start it with the old water and rocks from a 5 Gallon the water was pretty dirty when I stirred it up. I filled my 29G tank put fresh start up in it let it run for 4 hours. then added in the dirty water in there followed by some fish food. Is there anything else I can do I already put my fish in there I'm hoping they will be okay. I'm a beginner just wondering if it will be fine any information would help I'm trying my best. Oh yeah I have 2 Mollies and a platy. I definitely need to get some rest strips

2. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

I understand that you're going to be doing a cycle with fish, you probably shouldn't do that but that's just my opinion, I think that fishless cycles are much better and easier to do, no matter how "hardy" the fish are.

But since you've already started and everything (there's still time to change, but I'm assuming you don't have the money/time/room to do anything now), you'll have to get some test kits as soon as possible.

Let us know the water parameters as soon as you can :)

Wishing the best for you and your fishies!

3. OP
    OP
    M

Rofl that's funny if these fish did I'll have to do a fishless cycle so much to know about this stuff I've been busy this weekend for the 4th I'm going to Wal-Mart In the morning to get some test just didn't cross my mind at the time. So my fish have a chance of living as long as levels don't go crazy? Thanks for taking your time

4. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

1. Learn Nitrogen cycle please.
    2. Buy Prime and Stability or your fish will not survive the cycle.
    3. Don't buy test strips. waste of time and money. API Liquid test.
    4. if need any help feel free to ask. good luck!

5. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Yes, they have a chance of living. Do you know all the parts of the nitrogen cycle?

In case you don't, here's this:

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

:)!!!

For the cycle to be finished, you'll want to start seeing nitrates in the test kit and the nitrites (not to be confused with nitrates) and ammonia must both be at 0.

I love fish, I spend every day of my life watching fish videos, ask anyone, haha!

6. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Dont waste your money or time with test strips.
    API Liquid Master Test Kit all the way!! :)
    The Nitrogen Cycle is the most important thing about the hobby. Learn it quick

Also, mollies are messy fish with high high bioloads. The minimum for one is 29g, so if you can, you might want to consider returning one.

Plan on a minimum of 50% water changes weekly with a gravel vac. This not only keeps the tank and water clean, but also replenishes the minerals that your fish need.
    And Seachem Prime is also a good product to have. It gets rid of the heavy metals in the water, and also detoxifies the ammonia and nitrItes
    Dont take petstores advice. They want to make money off you and usually dont have a clue to healthy tanks.
    Lastly, welcome to FishLore!!
    Ask any question you have. We're helpful folks around here. No question is silly

7. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks everyone for your feedback just went and bought some prime now I feel like my fish will stand a better chance I just couldn't wait to put them in the New tank my lps is helping me with testing water and etc glad to be here

8. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hi @Mollys423 . 2 Mollies and a platy are fine in a 29Gallon tank. Just 2 questions, is the tank brackish water? I know most live bearers appreciate a little salt in the water, especially mollies! And secondly, do you have any plans for stocking in the future?
    ~Mudkipz

9. OP
    OP
    M

AtomicMudkip yes I do plan on stocking more when my parameters are fine and no it's tap water but I used dechlorinater and stuff to fix it can you tell me how to do brackish

10. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Brackish water is a mixture of fresh wate and salt water. I'm not sure which type of salt to use as I don't have a brackish tank my self, but look up a tutorial on how to set up a brackish water fish tank.
    ~Mudkipz

11. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Mollies don't need brackish water, although they can be found in fresh, brackish or full saltwater they're fine in freshwater as are the platys so no need to make the water brackish.

12. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Messing with salt seems more troublesome than it's worth.

With prime and a test kit you'll cycle your tank safely. Stability can speed up the process but not a necessity.

13. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

I dont recommend relying on your lps to test your water. More often than not, they'll use strips and/or tell you "its good" without knowing what good is, and not give you exact numbers.
    Plus youll want to test about every day while cycling.
    P.s. a test kit has about 800+ tests!