Nitrogen Cycle

1. z

zyntec724 Valued Member Member

Ive got a 10 gal tank that has been running for quite some time now with little to no issues. According to water tests it seems to be cycled. I normally get .25ppm for ammonia but that seems to be where my kit zeros out, 0 nitrite, and about 20ppm nitrate. I still run water tests quite regularly to make sure everything is all good. On occasion i get a reading for ammonia of .5, which in actuality is .25, 0 for nitrite and still around 20 for nitrate. Is it normal to get a reading for ammonia? or is there something off with my cycle?

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

What's your pH?

3. OP
    OP
    z

Ive only tested high range and its always 7.4 on the dot, low range was well, to low.

4. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Just to clarify what you mean by running for quite some time, is it a tank you are/have just cycled?

When do you notice the rise in ammonia? If your testing after a water change it could be the water you are adding.

5. OP
    OP
    z

I used the same tank, rocks, and media for about 4 months, Lost my stock due to a power outage...
    The tank sat full and running without any stock for about 7 months after that. I recently added 4 tiger barbs ( which are in the process of getting put into a bigger tank) that have been in for around a month. I feed a mixed diet every other day, and usually the day after feeding i get the reading, after that i usually do a water change. For some reason i was under the impression that you shouldn't get any ammonia reading in a cycled tank

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Low range is too low? How low? 6?
    If your pH is low, you are just reading ammonium, not ammonia. Ammonium isn't as harmful (maybe even harmless).

7. OP
    OP
    z

I mean as low range doesn't read high enough. It always yields it's highest value

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app