Nitrogen Cycle - Week 1 Test Results 75 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Water Parameters' started by ChelseaBidwell, Jul 28, 2019.

1. ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwellNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    So, we started the cycle on our 80 Gallon tank on 7/20, have been adding frozen shrimp, dried shrimp, and pellets as we ghost feed. We have been adding food every other day, roughly. These are our results on the dates listed. I have been testing every 2-3 days. We did not add anything else to the tank as far as nutrifying bacteria goes. We also couldn't bring ourselves to do a fish sacrifice, lol. Can anyone tell me if this progress is usual or if I need to be doing something else to help move the cycle along? I've done some reading, and the nitrates are high right now because of my live rock and sand?? The nitrites haven't really budged since we started. I'm an expert when it comes to freshwater, but saltwater is a whole new ball field for me. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!! Thanks!! 1564337920170~2.

2. OP
    OP
    ChelseaBidwell

ChelseaBidwellNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Here are the test results. 1564338268962.1564338280625.

3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,486
    Experience:
    2 years
    looks like your live rock and live sand contain nitrifying bacteria, and they're getting to work.

do you have something to consume the nitrates? i've only read (no personal experience) that saltwater uses either a deep sand bed or a nitrate reactor.

4. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Experience:
    1 year
    I wouldn't be running the lights until about week 3 of the cycle. Running them early generally creates premature algae blooms. Also the salinity is a bit high at 1.027, it should be down closer to 1.025. Not that big of a deal At the moment but I would definitely drop it down before adding inverts or fish to it.

Become a Fishlore Member