Nitrogen Cycle Question Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by tatty_kassy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy Valued Member Member

Hello!
    I had posted about a week ago my tank readings and had asked if my tank was possibly cycled yet. Its been another 5 days and the tanks readings are still ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates-5, and ph 7.5

I haven't changed the water at all since I was informed it could be affecting the reading results, so I was wondering if I can sort of relax knowing the tank is cycled and stop testing daily?
    Thank you!
    -K:;fg

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you've experienced an ammonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike, and now your reading a steady 0, 0, 5, I think your cycled.

How did you cycle and how are you keeping the bacteria alive?

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I would think that if you were continuing to add an ammonia source thoughout the last 5 days, you would see a rise in nitrates levels. Of course if you are using the API liquid nitrate test kit, and haven't been shaking and banging bottle number 2 enough, you could be getting a false nitrate reading.

4. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Okay the story is: I got this tank from a woman who had it up and running for 1 year already and I got to keep about 12 gal. of the tank water and all the gravel and plants. I had the tank set up pretty quick and all the original fish that came with the tank made it.
    I added a few more tetras and a few more danios and a catfish and that was about a week ago.
    I've done a 20% water change about 4-5 days ago, and only put in RO water.
    I didn't add ammonia because I thought that the fish produced it...
    I'm sorry I am new at this and I am just really excited to make sure it is all set up so I can maybe buy a few more guppies and a frog :)

OH and the api liquid test is brand new and I make sure to shake it for 30 seconds like the directions said.

5. Jaysee

OHHHH, well then as long as the filter media was kept wet during the move, you're cycled.

6. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Ummm see thats the thing I didn't get to keep the filter because when I got home and set it up, it was broken. I tried to buy another one just like it so I could just transfer the filter over to the new one, but they don't make it anymore thats how old it was.
    So I have a new one, I had hoped there was enough bacteria left in the water/rocks/plants to maybe get it set up.
    Basically, if theres fish in there, and I have been testing daily and it stays strong at ammonia-0-nitrites-0-nitrates-5 and ph 7.5 could that mean the cycle is done?

Thanks again!

7. Jaysee

OHHHHHHHHH :)

well, there's no bacteria in the water itself. It is in the gravel and on the decor, but if they were allowed to dry out, the bacteria would have died.

How long have you been getting good numbers?

8. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

For about 10 days now, I got the tank on the 21st and had it set up the same day, and I got a testing kit about 2 days afterwards and a few more fish, and since then I have been testing daily.
    The rocks and plants and stuff were all kept in the water, she gave me one big bucket with the water and fish, and another big bucket with water, gravel, and plants. I didn't clean them off or anything, I only rinsed the actual tank itself.

I also tested the RO water just to make sure, and there is no Nitrates in it.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Bottle #2 contains crystals suspended in liquid, and the crystals tend to seperate out and sit in the bottom. If you don't really, really, really shake and bang the bottle (I bang it against the palm of my hand) the crystals may not resuspend giving you a false reading. I don't think that the API instructions instruct the user to shake aggressivly enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice