Nitrogen cycle question

1. AndyVE Member Member

Hi all.
    since the 24th i started cycling my tank.
    am a bit worried though my ph is too low?
    since the start it dropped a bit, but he last days it stays stable.
    getting as result:
    pH : 6.5 (lowest score on test with drops, and on a strip it is 6.4)
    kH : 4
    gH : 6 or 7
    NO2 : 0
    NO3 : 0
    Temperature is around 28-29°C (heater is not plugged in but is summer here so cannot get it lower at the moment).

is fishless tank and only used Sera filter biostart
    have live plants in it and also a thick soil and a spiderwood branch.
    that last one is showing some fungus (as i understood that will stop after a few weeks).
    Also some algea are starting to grow...

Want to make sure i just need to be patient with it,
    or is the pH way too low to innitiate...

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I'm not familiar with the biostart, but I am familiar with cycling a tank. You only have to worry about the pH being too low when you get below 6.0.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I haven't used bottled bacteria so can't say how effective that brand is, but if you have no fish in the tank there wil be no ammonia to feed the good bacteria so it will die off & you'll have to start cycling again.
    If you're not planning to have fish for a while then get some household ammonia & do a fishless cycle instead

4. Joshstevens7 Initiate Member

Spectrum Brands bought over Marineland Labs in late 2006 and shut the California facility down and merged it with Tetra. Sprectrum moved the Bio-Spira production to the Tetra facility in Melle Germany. Safestart uses the same patent (EP1282688) as BIO-Spira.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

pH below 7 ppm could result in a stalled cycle. [Source]

Were you using that to cycle the tank? If so, that's the wrong product. To cycle (you must have fish in the tank) you'll need Sera Nitrivec. If I'm reading the online booklet correctly, it looks like you use both of those products, one right after the other. IMHO you don't need anything but the Nitrivec and fish.

You'll need to figure out the cause of the fungus and fix that before you go any further.

Test the pH in your tap water and let us know what it is. If it's lower than 7 ppm, you may have to add something to buffer the pH. Texas Holy rock added to the tank, or a small bag of crushed coral to the filter should help prevent the pH from dropping below 7 ppm.

6. AndyVE Member Member

Hi Mamajin,
    pH is 6.5 or 7 (color of droplets is inbetween both so hard to tell).

After a week i added 4 corydora trilineatus (since they are the hardiest fish that i actually planned to have in the tank). As of today my ammonia level (did not have test for it the first week) went to 0. Nitrites also 0 as of today and nitrates are 10mg/l. Added 2 extra cory 3 days ago (so are with 6 now).

plan is to add 12 cardinal tetra (in 2 steps probably) in a few weeks...

Do test on my water on almost a daily basis so far.
    So if ammonia and nitrate stay at 0 after a week i'll do it on a weekly one (unless i add more fish).

ooh see you have congo tetra.
    Was doubting to get those instead, but they do not seem to sell them here...

Ps fungus never got any worse and seems gone now

7. Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds to me like the tank is cycled so I wouldn't worry about the pH, although if you wanted to ensure it stays stable you could add a small bag of crushed coral to the filter. Probably not needed, but it wouldn't hurt either.

What size tank?

Be sure you QT new fish for no less than 30 days before adding them to your main tank. This prevents the spread of any possible illness or diseases to healthy fish.

8. AndyVE Member Member

Have a Ciano Elements 80: 128L (33.8G) 78x37x56cm2x 24W T5 and internal filter.

Wanted a dark soil so ended up with 18kg of dark brown soil similar to the Shirakura Red Bee Sand (forgot the name), but took the finest grain i could find since i planned to have cory's in it.
    was a bit too much so ended up with a thick layer of almost 8-10cm, but i do not mind.

Plants: cabomba aquatica, Echinodorus Bleheri, Eleocharis Acicularis and flame moss