Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have you recently (after the cycle was done) added more fish? If too many fish are added at a time, it can set off a "mini cycle", where the amount of additional waste generated by new fish is more than existing bacteria can handle, and you go through another little cycle while the bacteria begins to reproduce until it "catches up" with the new bio-load.

Have you tested your tap water? Since you are changing water daily, it is possible that your tap water has ammonia in it that you are adding to the tank each day.

Are you using a dechlorinator on the water you add to the tank? Chlorine in tap water can kill off your bacteria, causing you to show ammonia/nitrite spikes. Letting water sit before putting it in can help, but I am not sure how long it should sit. Treating the water with something like Prime or Amquel+ or Aquasafe is truly the safest thing.

Just some possibilities...may not be any of them, but it is a place to start!

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How big is your aquarium? The only way we will know if you are overstocked is to know what size tank you have. As for leaving the water sitting overnight, that may not be enough. If you only have chlorine then that might work if it's left long enough, however, if you have chloramines then it won't do anything. You have to break up the bond of the chloramines in order to get out the chlorine and that can only be done with chemicals. The easiest way to tell if you have chloramines in your tap water is to test for ammonia right out of the tap. If you get a reading out of the tap then chances are you have chloramines in your water. You will need to get a treatment chemical like AquaSafe, NovAqua+, etc. If you want to go a step further an make any ammonia that is added non-toxic as well as the nitrite and nitrates, then get something like Prime or Amquel+.

mavor

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help
I check the tap water and they contain 1.0 off ammonia so I got Prime and used it on the tap water and the aquarium
for now the level off the ammonia drop to 0.25 and the rest off the staff are 0
i also got something to boost the bacteria in the aquarium (Freshwater Biozyme from petco)
i hoop Im on the right track

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes you are on the right track there. As I said before though, we will need to know the size of your tank in order to let you know if you are over stocked. If you don't know the Gal size, then let us know the length, width, and height of the tank and we can go from there.

mavor

Reaction score
Its 50 US gl
H 19.5" W 35" D 14.25"

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry I just saw you did say it was 50 Gal in your first post, not sure how I missed that. However, I'm glad you put in your dimensions because it's actually a 42 Gal US tank. But the good news is that you aren't overstocked. You only have 36" of fish in that tank:

6 Neon Tetra x 1.5" each = 9"
3 Black Phantom Tetra x 2" each = 6"
3 Otocinclus Catfish x 2" each = 6"
3 Swordtail x 5" each = 15

9 + 6 + 6 + 15 = 36" of fish. So you actually have room for 6" more of fish, but I would definitely wait till your tank is fully cycled as with some ammonia but 0 nitrite or nitrate your tank is unfortunately only at the beginning stages of the cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom