pinky93

I jus needs some answers to questions like:
How to cycle a tank
How long it takes ???
Do I use fish food and
Should I have my fish in that tank while cycling

Shenel

Chief_waterchanger

If you have another tank running just switch the filters. That pretty much skips the cycling.

Chief_waterchanger

Make sure to leave the filter media (ie. sponge, filter floss, etc) in the filter when you switch it.

sgould

There are several ways to go about cycling your tank. It might be more meaningful for you if you read this link to get a better feel for the options, then come back and ask whatever questions it sparks for you:
Typical duration, if you have to go thru a full cycle, is 4-6 weeks. However, there is no hard and fast rule. Could be longer, could be shorter.

pinky93

How do I tell if the cycle is done?

sgould

You have to test the water. The best way to do this is to buy a freshwater master test kit, which will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. When your tests show that ammonia and nitrite are both 0, and your nitrate is something other than 0, your cycle is done. Another way is to take water samples to your lfs and have them test it for you, but quite honestly I would avoid that if you can...it is kind of scary how many people have posted about the terrible cycling advise they got from their lfs when they took water in for testing. A test kit is not all that expensive, and the tests are very easy to do yourself.

Gunnie

Please click on the link in my signature "Beginner Articles" This should help answer a lot of your questions. Try and go with the fishless option if you don't already have fish in the tank. Cycling with fish is really tough on them and unnecessary.

Random Great Thread

Saltwater aquarium start-up series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Latest threads

Top Bottom