Nitrogen Cycle for Pond Fry Moved to Aquarium

FishGrampa

I have an established pond with Goldfish. This summer there must have been candlelight and soft music because we have 3 sizes of fry and young juveniles. We are moving the offspring to an indoor aquarium to prevent pond overcrowding. My question is this: Since these fry came from the pond, can I speed up the initial nitrogen cycle in the aquarium by putting some of the pond plants into the aquarium? There are plenty to go around and they've been on the job for awhile. I'm new to aquarium life and could possibly be making a ridiculous assumption....but would it work? You folks are the experts so I will respect your advice. Many thanks!

MasterPython

That will help. There are various bottled bacteria that can speed up the process.

Upvote 0

FishGrampa

That will help. There are various bottled bacteria that can speed up the process.
Hi, thank you. Do you have a type of bottled bacteria that you recommend?

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Hi, thank you. Do you have a type of bottled bacteria that you recommend?
FritzZyme TurboStart 700 probably is the best.

If you have dirt, pond scum, various stuff you can scrape from the pond to chuck into the tank, that can help it trudge along as well.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Hey FishGrampa .
You have a pond that is no doubt full of the bacteria that we have in our aquariums. It lives on ALL hard surfaces including plants. OLD Wood ,rocks ,gravel and ornaments all have the bacteria on them . It is a living think that requires oxygen and food ( fish waste) as well as to be kept wet.
I don’t what to stop you buying a bottle of bacteria but suggest you only buy one ? If you must?
You potentially have enough bacteria in the pond to start exporting it worldwide yourself?
Adding plants rocks and ornaments or any hard surface will give the tank the bacteria that is definitely alive today.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I agree with Flyfisha You already have something better than anything you can buy in a bottle right there in your pond. Does the pond have a filter? if it does a piece of it will work. If not then everything else in the tank will have the ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria you need to cycle this tank. This bacteria is living on everything in the pond.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vyllkatt
Replies
Views
Skavatar
Replies
Views
gopikrish81
Replies