Nitrogen Cycle Finished Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by vehp, Apr 23, 2018.

1. vehp

vehpNew MemberMember

Hey! So, I was cycling (fishless) a 10g tank for my betta. The cycle seems to be done, for the past week I've been getting readings of 0ppm ammonia/nitrites and 10-20ppm nitrates. I've added ammonia and it's gone the next day. And now I have a few questions before moving my little guy in there.

1. (Btw, it's my first time cycling) The guides I've been reading say that after the cycle is done I have to do a partial water change to lower the high levels of nitrate, but the levels of nitrates I have are supposed to be ok for a freshwater aquarium. Do I need to do a change anyway?

2. In the other tank, whete my betta is currently in, I have an anubia on driftwood, I want to move it to the new aquarium, could it harm the tank? Should I wash it in a particular way or something?

3. I have an AquaClear filter, so I have space for 3 types of filtration. For now I only have in there the sponge and a bag with media. Now that the cycle is finished, would it be ok to add a bag with Seachem Purigen in there too?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tony M

Tony MValued MemberMember

Won’t hurt to change 50%. Could wait a week though and then do it weekly after that. The drift wood should be fine. Yes you can add the Purigen. It should be the last thing the water passes though.

Water passes through

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would do a water change before adding the betta still. Your nitrates aren't too high, but it's still good to put him in the cleanest water possible :)

Nope, it shouldn't cause any problems. You can just pick and up and move it. Don't even need to rinse!

Yes, you can add Purigen.

4. OP
    OP
    vehp

vehpNew MemberMember

Thank you very much! Water change done, anubia on df moved, purigen added, and right now I'm acclimatizing my little dude to the new tank :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice