Nitrogen cycle?? Did it crash or did I even have one at the start??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by CluelessBettaOwner, Dec 17, 2012.

1. CluelessBettaOwnerNew MemberMember

Hi, my filter has been running since the 4th of December in my 15 gallon/56.6 liter tank. It is 24 inches in length by 12 by 12.
    I have 4 big plants in it. One is a wisteria. The other I don't know. I have to small plants, one is a water lily. The aquarium is heated to 25 degrees celcius.
    I have one male full grown betta. 2 young albino cories, not yet full size. ( I plan to get more so the two I have will be happier.)
    I also have 7 neon tetras. I planned on 6 but the pet shop gave me one extra. I probably stupidly added them all on the same day. I did this because I didnt want them to get stressed for being in smaller numbers.
    All my fish seem very happy and not stressed at all. I added the neons on Saturday, on monday my API master test kit arrived. I tested my water.
    The results.
    Ph- 7.6 same as the tap water.
    Ammonia- .25ppm
    Nitrites- 2.0ppm
    Nitrates- 5.0ppm, the tap water was 0.
    I tested again today, 16 hours later and the same results came up.
    What do these numbers mean??? Is my cycle still going okay?
    I'll test tomorrow and post the results, but any possible explanations would be helpful.
    And should I change the water because of the nitrite levels? Or should my fish be okay and shoud i just wait and watch?l

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Your tank hasn't completely cycled. It is likely that putting all fish in at once was too much for your cycling bacteria. Definitely change some water. Your ammonia and nitrites should always be 0. Nitrates at 5 means some bacteria are working. You came to the right place for advice.

Make sure you treat your water before you add it, don't clean the actual filter just yet.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CluelessBettaOwnerNew MemberMember

Gah post didn't appear. I'll do a 40% change now.
    My bacteria are okay right? I just need to grow more, but the bacteria I had before are ok, am I right?
    Thank you for the post, it's really appreciated.

4. guppygrl

guppygrlValued MemberMember

I went thru that too. Daily water changes to lower the ammonia and nitrites ... you are on your way. Keep testing water and it should be cycled soon. Do you use Prime? Sorry I'm on my cell and can't go back and read your original post.

5. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Yes your BB are okay. There is just too much ammonia (their food) for the amount you had. In future you need to stock your tank slowly. Give more bacteria time to grow. Follow Guppygirl's advice and you should be sweet.

6. guppygrl

Yes Yeoy is so right about adding fish slowly. I know it's hard to start but doing that slowly will help out. Too many fish will increase ammonia and you won't have enough BB yet. Let us know how things go!

7. OP
    OP
    C

Ok thanks! Glad to know my bacteria is okay! Don't worry, I'll wont add any more fish til the cycle finishes. I shouldn't had added all the tetras, I just thought they would get stressed if they were not within a school. I didn't that adding that amount of fish, could stress the other 3 fish out from too much ammonia! I didn't think of that, when I should have.
    I did a 40% water change today. I'll change my water daily, but is 40 a good amount to change? Or should I do more or less?
    Thanks for the feedback!

8. OP
    OP
    C

I forgot to add, I will stock more slowly now. Thanks!

9. guppygrl

I did the same thing. Not to worry... you came to a great forum. I'm rather new too but can relate to your problem.

Be patient and your tank will stabilize. :)

10. OP
    OP
    C

Ok thanks for you help

11. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; Here is a link to a long article about nitrogen and cycling. It is an involved read.

12. OP
    OP
    C

Wow, thanks for the site, so much information!! I learnt quite a bit there!

13. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

40% is good. I would suggest from now on you stock one species at a time, working from least aggressive. So do your neons first. Then a week later your corys. Then a week later the Betta. as an example. Good luck!

14. OP
    OP
    C

Test results this morning!!
    Ammonia-.25
    Nitrite- 1.0
    Nitrate- 5.0
    Again thanks for the feedback!!

15. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

You are overstocked with your Tetras as well...

16. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; One male full grown betta. 2 young albino cories, and 7 neon tetras does not seem overstocked for a 15 gallon tanks to me.

17. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

1 betta needs a 10 gal, 2 corries need 15, and 7 neon tetra's need no less than 10 as well... yep, the 15gal is overstocked.

18. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; Sorry, but in my experience your stocking suggestions are much too conservative. I feel this stocking is about right and in no way overstocked.

19. OP
    OP
    C

Mrs.Price?
    Everything I have read states that bettas should be housed in 5 gallons at the very least. I'm not sure about the corydora and neon tetra tank sizes and I believe you are correct about the neon tetras. I do not entirely trust your word about the 15 gallon for the corydoras.
    2 corydoras need 15 gallons by themselves? From what I've read surface area matters a lot more than water amount. I believe my tank would be a better home than a 30 gallon tank that's surface area is 12 by 12 inches.
    However I am a newbie to fish keeping, but I am more inclined to believe what skjl47 has said as it seems far more logical.
    Although I have made a few mistakes I'm not a complete idiot. I have done research, otherwise my betta would still be in less than 2 litres of unheated water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice