Nitrogen cycle-confused?

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Today i took some ammonia,nitrite and nitrate readings from my 25 gallon that is cycling. Much to my suprise i had zero ammonia, 0.1 nitrite and 5 nitrate. Im not sure if this is a good thing or not because its only been cycling for 3 days now. I used a piece of lobster meat as an ammonia source and I added some gravel and decor from my 10 gallon cycled tank to help speed up the cycle, but this seems too fast?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's a good sign, nice job. Seeding a tank is a great way to speed up a cycle.
It shouldn't be long now.

Oh, that's providing your tap water tests 0, 0, 0.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yes they are all zero yay. my DG and betta are starting to get a bit more hostile towards each other, so the sooner I can get my DG into the bigger tank the better.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, hurry cycle! Is there anyway you can divide the 10 before someone gets hurt?

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a pretty big fish bowl that I could maybe put one in, but theres no heater...although my DG did live in a measuring cup for a week before I saved him from getting flushed by my roomate, so he might be able to tolerate it for a day or 2...

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I added my DG to the 25gallon late last night (the nitrites were 0 by then), it took him a little while to get used to all of the space, but he seems very happy. I noticed some of his scales missing which is probly from the betta. Im just happy that theyre finally seperated.
When I add the new fish I know that its better to only add a few at a time, but how long apart should I wait before adding more? Im going to be getting more fish on tuesday but I live out of town from the petstore, so it would be easier to buy them all at once...but i dont have a quarantine tank, just a large fish bowl...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm glad to hear that they've been seperated.

Since it's a newly cycled tank it would be a good idea to wait a week or two before adding new fish to make sure your cycle is stable.
It's recommended to quarantine any new fish for about 2 weeks so that should work out well for you. It would be terrible to introduce a sick fish to your tank.

A quarantine tank doesn't have to be an expensive elaborate set up. This sticky has a few good links about setting one up.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/quarantine-tank-setup.69750/

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I checked out the link and the 3 gallon q tank looks pretty good. would I be able to put like 6 cories and a few platies in there at the same time tho?
I might get a 5 gallon tank to use as a quarantine tank maybe, but still would that be too many fish in it?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
asialh89 said:
I checked out the link and the 3 gallon q tank looks pretty good. would I be able to put like 6 cories and a few platies in there at the same time tho?
I think a three gallon q tank is much too small for that many fish. A 10 gallon would be much better. If you don't want to buy a 10 gallon tank, maybe you could find a rubbermaid container that size you could use.

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ooh that is a really good idea, I do in fact have a pretty big rubbermaid container, so all I would need to get is a filter/heater/pump and some places for the fish to hide. thanks, that will save me some cash.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads