Nitrogen cycle completed?

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just set up a tank on Friday (about 4-5 days ago) and introduced BacterLife friendly bacteria from www.waterlife.co.uk. I tested the water today with Api master test kit. Readings are 0 for ammonia, 0 for nitrite and 5 for nitrate.

This is despite not using any other means to get the cycle started except a little food flakes on Friday.

Does this mean that the cycle is completed and I can add fish? I'm a little unsure because it's only been 5 days!

I have a sponge filter soaking in there; does it already contain the necessary bio bacteria?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Strange...your tap and your tank water have the same amount of nitrates so it doesn't seem like any ammonia has been converted to nitrate, yet you're not showing any ammonia in your tank even though your tap has it and you've been adding flakes. I hope someone else might have an explanation for this.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see on the bottle, it says The natural weekly cleaning treatment.
Do you have to add it weekly?

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's only been a week so I added it once so far. Maybe I need more ammonia to start with so I'm going to try adding a piece of raw shrimp. I think the bacteria supplement speeds up the cycling process with the assumption that there's plenty of ammonia to begin with.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom