Nitrogen Cycle Ammonia Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Savwingrove, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Savwingrove

Savwingrove Valued Member Member

Hi guys been going back and forth on how I wanted to do the cycle... eventually decided on ammonia method because shrimp method apparently ends up smelling and I can’t let my room smell while I sleep there you know! Haha!

Anyway so I’ve put ammonia and quick start in my 10 g tank today and been ready about the steps on how to keep it going for a few hours now!

Only thing I’m confused about is knowing when to add more ammonia? Daily? Every second day? I know how much but not sure when to add it! Please help!

Also I think I’ve finally cycled my previous tank which unfortunately had a fish in cycle as the pet store didn’t tell me about the cycle! Very upsetting! But glad he got through it!

Thanks!

2. g

glofishguy1234567890 Valued Member Member

You should get plants. They my make it so that it starts your tank with only a little bit of work. Now, if you clean your other tank with about a 10% water change and put the dirty water in this tank, it will help. Also take the cartridge from your other tanks filter and put it in the other tank. It is packed with beneficial bacteria.

3. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Ok first plants do little if anything to help a cycle they are plants not bacteria. Tank water as well will help little as it contains very little bacteria. Filter media from an established filter will help but dont remove too much or you will uncycle your cycled tank. You know to add more ammonia by testing your water and adding back the proper ammount as needed. With out a test kit you are just guessing.

4. A. Rozhin

A. Rozhin Valued Member Member

Yep. Plants don’t help. I did a fishless cycle fully planted and lost some nice plants in the nitrite spike. They do not speed it along. They are there to soak up nitrates when it is finally cycles, but you’re still going to have to do that massive water change at the end. Everything beneficial that plants do, they do with the byproduct of the bacteria. You need the beneficial bacteria before the plants are involved.

5. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Savwingrove Valued Member Member

Thank you guys very much!! Have the testing kit and it’s a big help!! Love live plants and will be using once cycle is over!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice