Nitrogen cycle 2 week old tank

Misty Schillaci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all. I have a 20H tank with 2 large ornamental goldfish. I was given the goldfish (they are about 4 and 6" in length). The tank is new (set up 2weeks ago). My readings are:
Ammonia 1.0
nitrite between .5 and 1.0
nitrates are 20

Ive done a 20% water change, and added amino lock to it. I've also added nite-out and quick start. Although not all at the same time. I know goldfish produce lots of ammonia. The nitrites and nitrates started rising yesterday and they increased today (to the levels posted above).
What do I need to do?? The fish seem happy still.
TIA

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

First, you need a much larger tank. Do you know what kind of goldfish they are? Some are only appropriate for ponds. If you can't get a larger tank for them, you need to rehome them.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle (click the words, they're a link!)? I'd be doing much larger water changes (50% at least) every day to keep the ammonia and nitrites below 0.25.

Misty Schillaci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you for your help.... The only thing that's off today is the ammonia. I did a water change of 50% and I added ammonia lock to it. They are orandas. We got them when we bought a 25 gallon cube tank from someone. She has them in there and she said that the larger fish is about 5-6 years old. I know she never checked the levels on anything but cleaned the tank often. I'm using the 25 gal for something else or I would put them in there. I do not know what I'll do with them yet.
I'll try the prime

Misty Schillaci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So the ammonia is the only thing that keeps going high. I'm doing water changes every day and adding bacteria. But now the glass has white on the inside. It looks like streaks in some areas and just a film in other areas. It's slimy to the touch...
im keeping the lights out on it. What do I do now and what is it??

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That is bio-film, a normal part of having a tank as bacteria adhere to it. I find going over the glass every few days with a magnet cleaner keeps it very clean.

Misty Schillaci

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just going to update this... The goldfish are so happy now that I put their bubble wall back in the tank.... They are constantly swimming thru the bubbles and swimming all I've the tank now... They are actually funny and very friendly fish. If your hands are in there they will rub against you and eat out of your hands too... the ammonia creeps up sometimes but goes back down with water changes. Their water is very clear and once I wiped the white biofilm off the glass the tank cleared and the film didn't come back....
thanks for your help !

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom