Nitrites Help

1. Lexar169 Member Member

My tank has been up and running for a little over 6 weeks. I recently noticed a Spike of nitrites that i cant seem to lower....is it possible im still in a phase of cycle? fish seem OK, but looks can be deceiving. Or can it be possible that something I'm doing is affecting my test?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lexar. What type of test are you using? What is most recommended is the API (liquid) Master Test Kits as test strips can be unreliable and inaccurate. Sounds like you could be going through a mini cycle assuming your tank had cycled to begin with. Have you added any fish lately? Cleaned too much of the tank all at one time?
    Ken
    :animal0068:Hello. I have moved your thread to the "aquarium nitrogen cycle" section of the forum. It may help you to get more responses!
    Thanks!
    Ken

3. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

if you are using the strips or liquid tests, they could be faulty. if you using Prime, wait 24 hrs then test because Prime could mess up the tests.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

really? I didn't know Prime would give false nitrite readings.
    In my opinion, a 10 gallon is difficult to keep with steady parameters. It's probably a mini-cycle. Also, I thought the liquid tests were pretty accurate (barring improper test administration or an expired kit, of course)?

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello,

Are you showing any ammonia? NitrAtes? Are you using Stress Zyme, Cycle or any other biological booster?

I noticed you have a pleco in your tank, according to your aquarium info. Do you still have it? Do you know what pleco it is? A 10 gallon isn't big enough for any pleco. I hope it's just temporary. :p They are HUGE waste producers and out grow a 10 gallon anyways.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Christine, I don't see a pleco listed. I see platies and a betta... ???

7. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

i emailed Seachem last year and they said in some cases depending on how much Prime is used it could mess with test readings. Liquid tests are very accurate, but like you said it could have been expired or some other factor.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for the information, John, it's very useful to know. :)

9. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

lol...Aquarium Info, in Livestock....says " 1 pleco " may not have it anymore. I was wondering why it wasn't listed on the Signature with the others. lol :p

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Lol, I swear I looked at it twice and didn't see it. Need to get my eyes checked (or many go to bed after taking the vicodin)

11. Lexar169 Member Member

yeah, i have the pleco. the sig was an error i didint fix yet lol. he is vary small atm. im going to try and move into a 55 asap....my test is a master API. Cant get ammonia becaouse of the kordon im using. But on the first post "aquarist48" you said "clean to much at once" i did a pretty aggressive clean...right before it happend...know that i think i know what i did, what did i cause from it?

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Lexar.

When you clean too much of your tank at one time you're removing too much of the good bacteria needed to keep your cycle in check with 0 ammonia,0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. You never want to clean everything at the same time. All of your good bacteria needed to sustain your cycle is found on all surface areas inside of your tank. Granted, most of the good bacteria is found in your filter and in your substrate. So what I think you've done is clean too much and removed too much of your good bacteria and this has thrown your tank into a mini cycle (with increased levels of nitrites) Hopefully after a couple of water changes you'll regain the cycle again with the above readings.

Example: When I vacuum my tank I only vacuum 1/3 of the tank at a time. The next weeks water change I vacuum another 1/3 of the tank and so on. This helps to prevent me from losing my cycle. As for your filter media, it should only be rinsed in siphoned tank water and never tap water as chlorine will destroy the good bacteria. You can use your filter media until it's falling apart and it doesn't have to be replaced. When it is time to replace it only change out 1/3 of it at a time. Too, you can always hide the new filter media in the tank somewhere about 2 weeks prior to changing out the media. This will "seed" the new filter media with good bacteria and then you can change it out.
    Ken

13. Lexar169 Member Member

:;fruyeah, im pretty sure thats what i did..i was trying to make sure i got as much stuff up off the gravel. ill remember this in the future.

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

All good advice.
    At six weeks the tank may not be completely finished cycling.
    First you see ammonia, then you see Nitrites, then you see Nitrates. Keep an eye on it and see if it moves on.
    Since you have fish in the tank you have to do water cchanges and this will slow the cycle down a bit.
    carol

15. Lexar169 Member Member

water changes w/out cleaning the gravel right?
    I can do that right?

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, you can do water changes without having to vacuum every time. :)
    Ken

17. Lexar169 Member Member

cool, lol.