Nitrites Wont Go Down? Help 

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Right. You want the ammonia and nitrites to start going down. Eventually the ammonia you add will be gone within 24 hours and your nitrites will drop to zero. At that time you will be seeing some nitrates. Nitrites are strange little creatures.

When i got my nitrite spike it went from none to off the chart over night. Since I was doing a fish in cycle I was doing water changes and dosing Prime every day. I did that 5 days straight. The nitrites kept showing to be 5 after every water change. After the 5th one they dropped all the way to zero. I expected a gradual decrease but it didn't work that way for me.

Each tank is unique so it is impossible to predict exactly how fast or slow your cycle will progress. That is why we need a truck load of patience.
Alright, well i guess i’ll just have to keep checking my water daily. Im usually the patient type but im so worried that this cycle wont finish up or be close to when summer ends. Im a student so it will defiantly be a struggle finishing the cycle up AND making sure my new little guys do well their first few months in the tank (once the cycle is complete of course) while i have classes. You dont suppose i should start doing water changes right? Or just leave the water and test it daily.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Caffee said:
Sorry, but your sure a 100% wont affect my
progress? Im so nervous about screwing this up and having it take even longer. I bought doctor tims ammonia and quick start bacteria because i was told that the cycling process would of been sped up at least a bit, but it doesnt seem to be going that way :/.
Yes, I'm sure. Changing water won't hurt anything. That's true now when you're cycling and later when you do regular weekly water changes. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces - in your filter media, on the substrate, even on walls and decorations. You'll change most of the water after it's cycled before stocking too, and that won't hurt anything either.

I think your tank's just been overwhelmed with a lot of stuff and high levels, which can slow or even stall progress.

Below is how I fishless cycle all my tanks for reference. There are many ways and most of them work. This is just my way - not the only way.
  • Dose dechlorinated water to 4 ppm of ammonia. Redose to 4 ppm when it hits 0-0.25 ppm, max once per day. Let it fall in between doses.
  • Once nitrites are present, drop the ammonia dose to 3 ppm, still only dosing when it nears 0 and max once per day.
  • When the ammonia converts to both 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in <24 hours, preferably in <12, the tank's ready to handle a full stocking. I do a final stress test of 4-5 ppm to confirm.
  • If stocking immediately, I change most of the water and stock. If stocking is delayed, I dose 1 ppm ammonia daily to keep the cycle strong until stocking, still doing the big water change just before adding fish.
  • I change some water if ammonia reaches 5 ppm, nitrite reaches 5 ppm, or nitrate goes off the chart.
  • Raising the temp to 82°-84° F can help expedite progress. Just remember to turn it back down later.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Caffee said:
Alright, well i guess i’ll just have to keep checking my water daily. Im usually the patient type but im so worried that this cycle wont finish up or be close to when summer ends. Im a student so it will defiantly be a struggle finishing the cycle up AND making sure my new little guys do well their first few months in the tank (once the cycle is complete of course) while i have classes. You dont suppose i should start doing water changes right? Or just leave the water and test it daily.
You don't need to be doing any regular water changes yet. That comes after the tank is cycled and you have fish in there.

It wouldn't hurt to do another one now and might help to get the nitrites down a little bit. If you choose to do so be sure to dose your ammonia back up to no less than 2ppm. More wouldn't be a problem but since it didn't go down any from the 2ppm you added yesterday I don't know that adding more than 2ppm is needed.

You might be surprised how quickly a cycle can finish up once it really gets going. I know the waiting is difficult 'specially when you need it done in a certain length of time.

Fast Fishless cycle You may want to read this thread. It shows you step by step how to do a fast cycle. I've not done it but it seems some have and have been successful.

Caffee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
You don't need to be doing any regular water changes yet. That comes after the tank is cycled and you have fish in there.

It wouldn't hurt to do another one now and might help to get the nitrites down a little bit. If you choose to do so be sure to dose your ammonia back up to no less than 2ppm. More wouldn't be a problem but since it didn't go down any from the 2ppm you added yesterday I don't know that adding more than 2ppm is needed.

You might be surprised how quickly a cycle can finish up once it really gets going. I know the waiting is difficult 'specially when you need it done in a certain length of time.

Fast Fishless cycle You may want to read this thread. It shows you step by step how to do a fast cycle. I've not done it but it seems some have and have been successful.
Alright, again thank you so much for your help. You've defiantly eased my mind quite a bit.

JenC said:
Yes, I'm sure. Changing water won't hurt anything. That's true now when you're cycling and later when you do regular weekly water changes. The beneficial bacteria live on surfaces - in your filter media, on the substrate, even on walls and decorations. You'll change most of the water after it's cycled before stocking too, and that won't hurt anything either.

I think your tank's just been overwhelmed with a lot of stuff and high levels, which can slow or even stall progress.

Below is how I fishless cycle all my tanks for reference. There are many ways and most of them work. This is just my way - not the only way.
  • Dose dechlorinated water to 4 ppm of ammonia. Redose to 4 ppm when it hits 0-0.25 ppm, max once per day. Let it fall in between doses.
  • Once nitrites are present, drop the ammonia dose to 3 ppm, still only dosing when it nears 0 and max once per day.
  • When the ammonia converts to both 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in <24 hours, preferably in <12, the tank's ready to handle a full stocking. I do a final stress test of 4-5 ppm to confirm.
  • If stocking immediately, I change most of the water and stock. If stocking is delayed, I dose 1 ppm ammonia daily to keep the cycle strong until stocking, still doing the big water change just before adding fish.
  • I change some water if ammonia reaches 5 ppm, nitrite reaches 5 ppm, or nitrate goes off the chart.
  • Raising the temp to 82°-84° F can help expedite progress. Just remember to turn it back down later.
Thanks for the help!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom