Nitrites? Trouble with cycling...need help

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!
I'm new to this forum so I might post this wrong somehow, but anyways
I have been cycling my fluval spec v for a betta. I used tetra safestart and some filter media I put in a established tank. I've been keeping it at 2 ppm for ammonia and when it got down to zero I added it again, and paid attention to the time to be sure that I tested it in 24 hours. ( i read that if ammonia goes down from 2 to 0 in 24 hours than the tank is cycled) It's currently almost 24 hours later, but I tested it in the middle of the day today (because of anticipation ) *note, for the whole cycling process I only have had ammonia and nitrates, no Nitrite!
And when I tested it these were the parameters
Ammonia. .50ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrate *oof* a tad bit above 80 ppm. I am just really confused as to why I got nitrites?
I was expecting the cycle to be done by tonight at 7, but I'm not too sure what to do now!
Any help is appreciated ☺

Best Answer - View mattgirl's answer

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
How long have you had this tank up and running? How long was the media in the cycled tank before moving it over to this tank? Nitrites are the second stage of the cycling process so seeing them now is to be expected.
Have you checked your source water for nitrates? It is always a good idea to run all the tests on our source water occasionally so we know what to expect when we do water changes.

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello! ☺ I do not have any nitrates in my tap water. The filter media was in the tank for it say maybe 1-2 weeks. The tank has been cycling for maybe a week and a half

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh and I was wondering if I could add driftwood, or will th e drop in ph ruin the cycle?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Normally driftwood doens't drop the PH enough to even consider it. If you tested before the full 24 hours it isn't surprising to still see some ammonia and nitrites. It just hadn't finished processing all the way to nitrates. Between the TSS and the seeded media your cycle is moving forward quickly.

Since this is just a 5 gallon tank i am assuming you are getting it ready for just one or 2 fish. If that is the case 1ppm ammonia will be enough to add each time.

What I would do is a water change. Change out enough to get the nitrates down to 5 or even 10. Once done raise the ammonia to 1ppm. Run your test 24 hours later. If both ammonia and nitrites are down to zero and your nitrates have risen slightly I have to think your cycle is done and the tank is ready for fish. :)

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
Normally driftwood doens't drop the PH enough to even consider it. If you tested before the full 24 hours it isn't surprising to still see some ammonia and nitrites. It just hadn't finished processing all the way to nitrates. Between the TSS and the seeded media your cycle is moving forward quickly.

Since this is just a 5 gallon tank i am assuming you are getting it ready for just one or 2 fish. If that is the case 1ppm ammonia will be enough to add each time.

What I would do is a water change. Change out enough to get the nitrates down to 5 or even 10. Once done raise the ammonia to 1ppm. Run your test 24 hours later. If both ammonia and nitrites are down to zero and your nitrates have risen slightly I have to think your cycle is done and the tank is ready for fish. :)
This all makes alot of sense now! Thank you so much I am planning to add a betta and possibly a nerite snail after my LFS gets it's shipment in

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once the cycle is complete continue adding about 1ppm ammonia every other day or even .5ppm ammonia every day to keep the bacteria well fed until you get to get your little water pets.

Keep in mind too, We love photos :)

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you! We have "Say" the betta fish in a old hospital container for now he is my sister's new betta fish. just got him today and he has taken a bath in metheylne blue to calm him/ get rid of any diseases he may have picked up. He super sweet! My betta fish literly flares at the sight of my finger LOL I'm sure my sister will appreciate his calm attitude XD
My sassy one (Geronimo) is going in the new tank, and Say is going in Geronimos old tank. A little complicated but I think it's gonna work ☺
This is Say on the way home

Attachments

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here's an update
I added 1 ppm ammonia yesterday at 3:00pm and then checked it at 10:30 this morning because I was getting impatient I got 0 for both ammonia and nitrites, then 20ppm for nitrates. Yay!!!!! I'm going to do a pretty big water change to get rid of the pesky nitrates and I'll post the ending result
Thanks for all the help!
Abby

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is Geronimo in his new tank
I noticed he has been “yawning” a lot. Is this normal for a betta going in a new tank? Or should I check the levels?
He has also been resting on the filter intake, which kind of scares me... is there any plants I can buy that would kind of block it? I currently have a sprouting Aponogeton bulb, a javafern, Marimo moss balls, and 2 anubias. One is dying and I’m using it as a temporary guard for now, not really working because Geronimo is sneaky

Attachments

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Checking the levels is always a good thing. I don't really know what he is trying to say with all the yawning but I bet he does. :)

Some folks add floating betta logs or a leaf made for them that you suction up toward the top for the little guy to chill on.

OP
GeroBetta

GeroBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will definitely check the levels, and I’ll look into some floating decor
Thank you!

New Threads