Nitrites too high

1. qquake2k Initiate Member

I have a 16 gallon freshwater aquarium that I set up on June 6. I'm currently running an AC50 HOB filter, and a Fluval 206 canister filter on it. I put the coarse foam from an Eheim Liberty 200 HOB filter in the Fluval to help seed it. The Fluval has been running for a little over a week. I've been seeding with Stability. The nitrites have been high for a few weeks now. I'm using test strips, and I recently got an API master test kit just to make sure. I've been doing weekly 50% water changes, but it doesn't seem to be helping. In the last two weeks, I've lost a red wag platy, a black molly, a cory, and two plecos. I'm down to one red wag platy, one black molly, and one cory. The fish that are left seem very healthy and active. I don't think I'm over feeding. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. qquake2k Initiate Member

I forgot to mention, I have Nitra-Zorb in both filters.

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've never used bottled bacteria so not sure what the directions are with them but I'd do more water changes to try & get those nitrites down as they will have a detrimental effect on your remaining fish especially the cory, watch out for barbel loss as that's one of the signs of nitrite poisoning

4. qquake2k Initiate Member

The cory seems to be doing fine now, but then so did the other one before he died.

Attached Files:

5. qquake2k Initiate Member

My good friend Hanna helped me do another water change today. The nitrites are lower, as you'd expect. I'll check them again tomorrow to see if they start creeping up again.

Attached Files: