Nitrites or no?

• Thread starter JulesW
  • Start date

JulesW

How would you read this? Maybe it’s .15-ish ppm? Not really blue but not really the purple of .25 ppm. Opinions, please. Thank you :)

Attachments

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
I think it may be the lighting but blue=0. It may be a little in between but as long as it doesn't reach .25 it shouldn't be harmful.

JulesW

RomanNoodles96 said:
I think it may be the lighting but blue=0. It may be a little in between but as long as it doesn't reach .25 it shouldn't be harmful.
Thank you! It doesn't look blue to me but it also doesn't look purple. Thanks for your response.

Trenzalore

If you have any live plants in your tank, they will help keep nitrites low once they're acclimated to the tank and start showing some new growth. I agree that it doesn't look completely blue like the chart and that it's probably at like .12 or .15 like you said. Even if you have fish that would uproot any rooted plants, you can put floating plants in to help absorb nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia, or you can take a plant like pothos and have just the roots in the water.

JulesW

Trenzalore said:
If you have any live plants in your tank, they will help keep nitrites low once they're acclimated to the tank and start showing some new growth. I agree that it doesn't look completely blue like the chart and that it's probably at like .12 or .15 like you said. Even if you have fish that would uproot any rooted plants, you can put floating plants in to help absorb nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia, or you can take a plant like pothos and have just the roots in the water.
This is a 30 gal tank that I am currently doing a fishless cycle. I am 3.5 weeks in, seeded it with media from my established 10 gallon tank. That is the color of the nitrites in 24 hours after dosing ammonia. It is heavily planted. I'm thinking it's ready to lightly stock....very lightly stock. The ammonia (2 ppm) is processed within a few hours. Nitrite is that blue/purplish color after 24 hours. After 29 hours it's completely blue. Think it's ok to add just a few small fish?

Trenzalore

Yes, adding a few smaller fish right now is alright and will help sustain the cycle and probably help finish it for you. The fish will be okay if you add a few now, especially since you have a larger 30g tank rather than a 5g or 10g; water volume matters and helps.

!poogs!

Well Known
Firstly, I like your nails.
secondly, that’s a zero nitrite.

JulesW

!poogs! said:
Firstly, I like your nails.
secondly, that’s a zero nitrite.
Thank you, lol. It’s magnetic polish :) I’m glad it’s basically a zero nitrite. It went to that color again today after only 11 hours after dosing ammonia. I think I’m cycled!!!

JulesW

Trenzalore said:
Yes, adding a few smaller fish right now is alright and will help sustain the cycle and probably help finish it for you. The fish will be okay if you add a few now, especially since you have a larger 30g tank rather than a 5g or 10g; water volume matters and helps.
It went to that color again today 11 hours after dosing ammonia. Gonna get a few fish and more plants tomorrow!!

Top Bottom