Nitrites Not Going Down, Nitrates Are Rising

Mayur Sirwani

Reaction score
I have a corner 54 gallon tank and I'm doing fishless cycle however I have few plants in there though.
I used Dr. Tim one and only nitrifying bacteria and added ammonia.
....Fast forward 4 weeks.....
My ammonia goes away in 12 hours and Nitrite is there and so is Nitrates. I stopped adding Ammonia 3 days back, Nitrite level is still same but my Nitrate is constantly rising.
Cant figure it out what going on.

Also.. I did 2 water changes in between when the Nitrates reached above 80ppm. I use API Freshwater kit for testing

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mayur Sirwani said:
I have a corner 54 gallon tank and I'm doing fishless cycle however I have few plants in there though.
I used Dr. Tim one and only nitrifying bacteria and added ammonia.
....Fast forward 4 weeks.....
My ammonia goes away in 12 hours and Nitrite is there and so is Nitrates. I stopped adding Ammonia 3 days back, Nitrite level is still same but my Nitrate is constantly rising.
Cant figure it out what going on.

Also.. I did 2 water changes in between when the Nitrates reached above 80ppm. I use API Freshwater kit for testing
sounds like you're nearly there and I'm betting your nitrites start to drop soon

it would help to know your exact test results for nitrite & nitrate please?

hkatikas

Reaction score
Hi guys, Same problem with me except the the nitrate is also constant at 5ppm. i am also 1 month in fishless cycle.
I read somewhere that a good 90% WC can help unstack the nitrite, what do you think shall we try it?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Don’t stop dosing ammonia! If you do the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites will die & you will be back at the beginning! How high are your nitrites? Reading on Fishlore folklore is that over 4.0 can stall your cycle. If you have nitrates you are almost there. They will keep rising - the only way to reduce them is via water change or a heavily planted tank. Keep strong!

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nitrites will drop as nitrates keep rising. Feed ammonia still if it is at .25 or less. Almost there!

Mayur Sirwani

Reaction score
Mom2some said:
Don’t stop dosing ammonia! If you do the bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrites will die & you will be back at the beginning! How high are your nitrites? Reading on Fishlore folklore is that over 4.0 can stall your cycle. If you have nitrates you are almost there. They will keep rising - the only way to reduce them is via water change or a heavily planted tank. Keep strong!
Nitrites are around 2-3ppm and Nitrates are 60ppm
Nitrites have been like that but Nitrates have rose from 30ppm to 60ppm
Also do you guys recommend to change water and add water conditioner and stress zyme with every water change during the cycle?

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t change my water during fishless cycle unless it looks like it has stalled. Let it ride and see if you can get this finished. I have never used Stress Zyms.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mayur Sirwani said:
Nitrites are around 2-3ppm and Nitrates are 60ppm
Nitrites have been like that but Nitrates have rose from 30ppm to 60ppm
Also do you guys recommend to change water and add water conditioner and stress zyme with every water change during the cycle?
Since you have no fish you are fine to let the nitrates get super high. Then the day (or day before) you add fish do a 95% water change with conditioner & you will have pristine water plus a cycled filter for your new fishy friends. Once you have fish water changes will be used to keep nitrate levels below 40 (or 20, depending on your preference).

A. Rozhin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This happened to me -- you are ALMOST THERE! Don't stop dosing ammonia (I use Dr. Tim's, too). I kept thinking, "The nitrites are already off the chart, I don't need more ammonia!" But...you do. And very soon, you will test the nitrite and it will be light cyan, like magic. Then you'll do your water change to get rid of your nitrates (which up until then have been making your plants extra happy) and you'll be done.

This is just the part of the process that tests your nerves...but, more ammonia.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom