Nitrites adding new fish

1. Oliver5672

Oliver5672 Well Known Member Member

Im suppose to be adding my first fish to my 75 gallon tank today which is partway through cycling. Im on the 5th day of adding stability and the tanks been running for weeks before that. The problem is that when I was testing the water before adding my first fish, is the nitrites. They seem elevated, this may just be me being paranoid. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466959473.104066.jpg
    Is this normal? Can I still add my fish?

2. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

How is your tank cycling without any source of food? Your tank sounds like it's cycling.

3. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

I added a pellet a few days ago, the stability doesn't need a source, does it? I just really want to or if I can add my fish I if the nitrites are too high?

4. Sarah73

You mean the filter? The filter needs to start building up BB. When nitrites are above 0 that isn't good at all. If the nitrates are at 5-30 then you are good:), but the nitrites are the problem. I would see if the nitrites go down and if they do add some danios. Danios are very hardy, so if your tank isn't cycled the fish will cycle it for you. It takes 20-60 days for the tank to cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Its an African cichlid tank so Danios wouldn't work️ im not sure i understand about the cycling completely, just some of it. Its been running for almost a month now. Would it be safe to add my fish or not?

6. Sarah73

Well you have no fish in their right? Why not just add some hardy fish(danios) and once the tank is done cycling then remove them and add the cichlids. Cycling a tank is really where your filter builds up BB to protect them from ammonia spike, nitrite spikes, etc. your tank will cycle by spiking because your BB is building up.

7. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

How long would it take to cycle as it is. Stability says it cycles in a week. Also I have alpha which I could add. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1466961901.095069.jpg also in this thread they said I could add fish while using stability.

8. g

gilpi Valued Member Member

Save yourself the money and just wait till the tank is cycled, adding stuff to the tank will only confuse you and really do nothing for the tank, there is no magic potion, patience is key here . Not sure how you are cycling but it takes a good 4-6 weeks more or less depending what you are doing.

9. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

But I've been waiting for this for so long
    Ok I will wait another week and see what its like then.

10. g

gilpi Valued Member Member

It is frustrating to have a tank empty for a few weeks but the rewards....

11. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

I know, I've had it with smaller tanks before.

12. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Stability can take longer then a week to cycle, it just depends. I personally use pure ammonia to cycle, which is ammonia with distilled water for fishless cycle. The one I used was called Janitorial Strength Ammonia, from ACE.

Cycling with fish food can be more difficult. I have also heard that with food to make it less difficult people put it in a mesh bag, then put that into their tanks.

edit: Personally I prefer fishless and if I had to do a fish in cycle I wouldn't put in a fish that I wasn't going to keep, as that just seems unnecessary to me to stress a fish out, then take it back to the pet shop instead of caring for it.

13. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Thanks for the extra info, ill keep using stability and test the water again next week

14. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Oli...

You can certainly add fish any time, but you have to be selective. Only hardy fish species should be introduced. Those that will tolerate changes in the chemistry of the tank water. You'll have chemistry changes during the nitrogen cycle, but if you take good care of the tank water, the fish will be fine.

Guppies, Swordtails and Platys if you like livebearers and Raspboras, White cloud minnows, Barbs or Danios if you go for egglayers. You should use 3 to 4 small fish for every 10 gallons of water you want to cycle. Add some floating plants like Water sprite, Hornwort or Anacharis. These will help steady the tank water between water changes.

Once the fish and plants are in, start testing the water every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite. Feed the fish just a little every couple of days to maintain a steady source of ammonia. If you have a positive test for either forms of nitrogen, change out one-quarter of the water, 25 percent. This amount keeps the water reasonably safe for the fish and will grow the bacteria colony.

Test every day and change the water when needed. When several daily tests show no trace of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. You can add fish, but test the water often to make sure the bacteria is doing it's job. Once the tank is established, you should change half the water weekly to maintain stable water for the fish and plants too.

A 75 gallon tank is perfect and gives you an excellent chance of keeping all kinds of fish.

Have fun!

Old

15. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

But if I opt for a fish out cycle should I just keep going with stability or do I have to add other stuff as well

16. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want to do a fishless cycle then don't add fish. You don't have to add fish with stability. Just keep going with stability until it cycles.

17. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Ok this is what I thought. Ill continue with stability until its cycled

18. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, the Stability needs an ammonia source. Ammonia is the food which the bacteria lives off of. If you add Stability, but do not add ammonia, the bacteria will starve off and you will not begin the cycling process.

If you're not 100% on the nitrogen cycle click the blue words and it will take you to an article about it. Sadly, just adding a pellet will not produce enough ammonia (or a constant supply) to feed that bacteria.

When doing a fishless cycle, you need to add ammonia to the tank to simulate the ammonia the fish would be producing. In time a bacteria colony develops that will convert that ammonia in the water into nitrites. Once nitrites start becomming present in the water, in time a second bacteria colony will develop which converts the nitrites into nitrates. By adding Stability, you would be speeding that process up, by adding the bacteria that would develop naturally over the course of several weeks.

19. OP
    OP
    Oliver5672

Ok this helps a lot, what do you recommend as an ammonia source

20. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What is your ammonia at? Are you getting any nitrates yet? And I don't remember but did you test your tap for all 3? If so, can you provide the numbers?