Nitrite to Nitrate conversion? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by FLGirl, Apr 19, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering something today about Nitrite to Nitrate conversion. Say if your readings are 0.25 ppm Nitrite and the next day 0 ppm nitrite how much will your Nitrates have risen since the Nitrites have been turned into nitrates. Will it rise 0.25 ppm or much more or ? (Assuming there are no plants eating up any of the nitrates) Thanks! :;f

2. bass master

bass masterWell Known MemberMember

I believe that yes, 1 nitrite ion will produce 1 nitrate ion when processed by bacteria, but remember, there is a constant source of ammonia going through the entire cycle so just because your nitrite drops by a certain number does not mean that the nitrite drop is equal to the nitrate increase. The nitrate increase is probably greater than the nitrite drop.

3. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

I always test both separately but I was just wondering about it. :;thx

4. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

By the way, nitrate test kits are not accurate when nitrite is present because what it does is actually convert all of the nitrate back into nitrite and then testing nitrite (so essentially it's testing nitrite plus nitrate). Therefore it's useless to test for nitrate while a tank is still cycling :)

5. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

You lost me a little bit on the testing turning the nitrite into nitrates but I pretty much get what your saying. lol :;thx

6. funkman262

funkman262Well Known MemberMember

The test converts the nitrate to nitrite, not the other way around ;)

7. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thats what I meant oops :;laughing