Nitrite Spikes

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

So, I just wanted confirmation on whether I'm handling this right. Lately my nitrites have been spiking. From what I've read this is a normal part of the nitrogen cycle as it is being established.

My ammonia is at 0 ppm, nitrites (now) are around .25 ppm (got them down to 0 ppm this morning), and my nitrates are at 10 ppm. The highest the nitrites were was at 2 ppm. This was quickly fixed and the highest it has been lately is .50 ppm.

So far I have been doing 50%-70% water changes everday to keep the nitrites under control. I'm just wondering if I'm overdoing it? I was reading somewhere that I should leave it alone and let it run its course. I'm just worried about the health of my fish.

How long does this cycle usually end? How long should I expect this to go on for?

kuhlkid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fact that you have nitrates is a good sign that your cycle is moving forward! But this cycle can take a while to finish, between a few weeks to upward of a month, and in that time nitrites will be highly toxic to your fish. How many fish do you have? Could you put them in another container if you needed to? Do you have an LFS that could board them until your cycle has completed?

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have one oranda in my tank, and I sadly do not have another place to put him. I know I should, but I'm limited in where I can put him till the cycle ends. Also, my LFS are sadly not very reliable :/

Is it still possible to keep the fish in there while this is happening? Thank you so much for your help! I feel like I'm going crazy lol

brook.lyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would invest into prime! You could do less (still frequent) water changes since that's not exactly the best for your cycle.

If you haven't heard of prime, it works as a water conditioner and detoxifying ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You can dose up to 5x as much as the original dose for your tank so you could do roughly every other day water changes and give you cycle at least some time to grow bacteria.

Just a thought. Also buying any bacteria in a bottle such as something like Tetra Safe Start Plus would help you out.

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would invest into prime! You could do less (still frequent) water changes since that's not exactly the best for your cycle.

If you haven't heard of prime, it works as a water conditioner and detoxifying ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You can dose up to 5x as much as the original dose for your tank so you could do roughly every other day water changes and give you cycle at least some time to grow bacteria.

Just a thought. Also buying any bacteria in a bottle such as something like Tetra Safe Start Plus would help you out.
I do have Prime! use it for all of my water changes.

I was thinking of buying that. I'll go to the store tomorrow and pick some up. I just want this cycle to be done with already lol! I'm getting a little impatient.

brook.lyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
I do have Prime! use it for all of my water changes.

I was thinking of buying that. I'll go to the store tomorrow and pick some up. I just want this cycle to be done with already lol! I'm getting a little impatient.
Tell me about it! I just got done with a cycle that lasted 7 months.. and I had to fix it by buying a already seeded filter lol. Bacteria can be stubborn but if your patient I promise it will be worth it!

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tell me about it! I just got done with a cycle that lasted 7 months.. and I had to fix it by buying a already seeded filter lol. Bacteria can be stubborn but if your patient I promise it will be worth it!
Omg that's horrible! That is so crazy! The things we do for our water babies lol thank you so much for your help! I will take your advice and try to be patient!

kuhlkid

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Best of luck! Make sure you're very familiar with all the signs of stress in fish (gasping, bloating, flashing, etc.), watch out for parasites that stress might bring on, and be ready to do a major water change if that happens. I've never kept goldfish, but I've had much more fragile fish live through a lot, so I'm hopeful for your little guy! If you stay vigilant, and keep on testing your water, you might pull this one off Keep us updated, we're always here to help!

Liz♡Gold

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Best of luck! Make sure you're very familiar with all the signs of stress in fish (gasping, bloating, flashing, etc.), watch out for parasites that stress might bring on, and be ready to do a major water change if that happens. I've never kept goldfish, but I've had mich more fragile fish live through a lot, so I'm hopeful for your little guy! If you stay vigilant, and keep on testing your water, you might pull this one off Keep us updated, we're always here to help!
Thank you so much for all your help! I will for sure keep you updated!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom