Nitrite Spiked - What Happened?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I have been cycling a 10 gallon tank without fish using an ammonia source for six weeks. The tank was cycled by the 5th week, I gave it an extra week before adding any fish just to be safe. So yesterday I added two small fish and one African dwarf frog. This morning I tested the water and there were nitrites up to one part per million. Did I ruin my cycle?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you keep adding ammonia during that extra week? Or did you just leave it?

Two fish and a frog would not cause a spike like that in one day!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I added food and rotting aquarium plant, just for that week

edit to add: I have pest snails up the wazoo in this particular tank that if been taking from my main tank and adding to this one for constant ammonia source

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Did you test the water immediately before adding the fish? If not, when was the last time you tested it before today?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya. Something is wrong with that. There is no way you can get 1.0 nitrite from zero overnight.....
Unless the test was inaccurate, I have no idea what could have possibly caused that. It seems impossible to me.

Ms rose said:
Is it possible the food, plant and pond and ramshorn snails were not a sufficient source of ammonia?
No. Because you tested your water yesterday before adding the fish. If the BB died off during that week for some crazy reason, you would have seen that in yesterday's results. Wouldn't you think??

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes I would think that, I'm just trying to find a logical reason for this, I just did almost 5 gallon of water changing, we will c where it goes from here I guess

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ms rose said:
Yes I would think that, I'm just trying to find a logical reason for this, I just did almost 5 gallon of water changing, we will c where it goes from here I guess
Have you tested your tapwater for nitrites?

What was your ammonia and nitrates this morning? Ammonia comes before nitrites. So you would have had to have high ammonia before getting high nitrites. And you didn't have any ammonia the day before adding the fish, correct?

With that being said.....if you had no ammonia before adding the fish, and no ammonia this morning. Then nitrites are impossible unless its in your tap.....Ammonia becomes nitrite and then nitrite becomes nitrate. I don't see how the ammonia stage could be skipped overnight.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nothing in my tap. It's possible that ammonia is .25 ppm from the tap as well as my tanks but it's hard to judge colors on this test. My tap has ,25 ammonia always and all my tanks reed that, could that be something?
Test results this am we're either 0 or .25 ammonia
Nitrite 1 ppm and nitrate was 40 so I water changed a third of the water

I'll do another test right now of said tank and post a pic of my results. Maybe this can help...

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmm. I just don't see how the results could change that drastically overnight. From two small fish and a little dwarf frog. I am at a loss. I'm sorry!

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So the first picture from left to right... first vile is ammonia from tap ( all other tap tastings are 0) the the last three are my tank test with the card to compare.
The second pic is with out card to compare but same testing from left to right
And third is of tank in question .
Keep in mind these reading are after a 3rd water change and dosed with seachem safe powder

bizaliz3 said:
Hmmm. I just don't see how the results could change that drastically overnight. From two small fish and a little dwarf frog. I am at a loss. I'm sorry!
Lol meeee toooo

Attachments

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
when you add fish your numbers will spike- a little google search will help you with that. Nothing strange or abnormal.

in the meantime- you're going to have to do a lot of water changes until your numbers level out.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok thank you, i am a religious tester and water changer so no problem for me at all.

By alot do you mean like evry day or multiple times a day or what...

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I disagree. A well cycled tank should not have spikes from adding a few small fish. ESPECIALLY in just 24 hours. And especially of the nitrite.
My tap water has .25 ammonia. When I do a water change on my established tanks, that ammonia is eaten up in less than 24 hours and there is no spike of nitrites.
I don't think it is normal to have a huge spike of nitrites just 24 hours after adding a few small fish. A healthy colony of BB should not take you through the whole cycling process again (ammoinia to nitrites to nitrates) every time you add a few fish. I realize this is a small tank. But still.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bizaliz3 said:
I disagree. A well cycled tank should not have spikes from adding a few small fish. ESPECIALLY in just 24 hours. And especially of the nitrite.
My tap water has .25 ammonia. When I do a water change on my established tanks, that ammonia is eaten up in less than 24 hours and there is no spike of nitrites.
I don't think it is normal to have a huge spike of nitrites just 24 hours after adding a few small fish. A healthy colony of BB should not take you through the whole cycling process again (ammoinia to nitrites to nitrates) every time you add a few fish. I realize this is a small tank. But still.
So conflicting haha, I'm just going to water change and test not in that order every day lol

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ms rose said:
By alot do you mean like evry day or multiple times a day or what...
when i was trying to get my levels back to normal after adding new fish... i did partial water changes every other day- so i would feed one day, water change the next.

It was about a week before my numbers leveled out - and then i made sure to test more often to make sure it didn't spike again.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BobNJerry said:
when i was trying to get my levels back to normal after adding new fish... i did partial water changes every other day- so i would feed one day, water change the next.

It was about a week before my numbers leveled out - and then i made sure to test more often to make sure it didn't spike again.
Ok , done. I'll keep updating here as thing do or don't progress

bizaliz3 said:
Also just to note, there will be no more fish added, this is what's going to be in this tank for as long as possible

BobNJerry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
on what FACTUAL information are you ... basing this response? LOL

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BobNJerry said:
on what FACTUAL information are you ... basing this response? LOL
Experience. I've cycled dozens of tanks over the years. And have 16 running currently. But also lots research.
What FACUTAL info are you basing your response???

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let’s not get sidetracked, please respond to the Op’s questions & not each other, if you want to continue the side discussion then start a new thread

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom