Nitrite spike.

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Hey everyone. So i upgraded.my tank yesterday. And today after testing have a reading of around 0.25 nitrite, 0 ammonia...so im.guessing this is a mini cycle? So my question is am i safe to use prime for a few days and go from there? Or am i needing to do a water change like.now? Thanks

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Sarah1230ox said:
Hey everyone. So i upgraded.my tank yesterday. And today after testing have a reading of around 0.25 nitrite, 0 ammonia...so im.guessing this is a mini cycle? So my question is am i safe to use prime for a few days and go from there? Or am i needing to do a water change like.now? Thanks
I would do water change and 3to5x times prime dose

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I would do water change and 3to5x times prime dose
Ive just.dosed with prime, and will do a a small.change later.and dose again, how long do.mini cycles usually last? The fish seems.happy no ones stressed so.hopefully it wont get.too.high!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Since you just moved everyone over to this tank I would just let it play out. You lost some of your bacteria during the move but bacteria grows quickly so should replace what was lost fairly quick. If it goes no higher than it is right now I wouldn't do a water change yet. You don't want to pull any ammonia out of there right now. The bacteria needs it to catch up.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
Since you just moved everyone over to this tank I would just let it play out. You lost some of your bacteria during the move but bacteria grows quickly so should replace what was lost fairly quick. If it goes no higher than it is right now I wouldn't do a water change yet. You don't want to pull any ammonia out of there right now. The bacteria needs it to catch up.
Okay thank you! So test again later? And if still the same, check again tomorrow and just dose with prime everyday if it doesn't get worse?

This was the nitrite was around .0.25 i think?
IMG_20200809_132324.jpg

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I wouldn't be overly concerned with a reading that low.
Okay thank you! I worry alot, and because i know my tank was cycled im.scared of the fish dying from the spike! If its that high now is it likely to get higher with being feed or stay the same?!

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Listen to mattgirl over me on this one. Let play out.
Okay thank you! Is this low.enough to not effect my fish too much?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay thank you! I worry alot, and because i know my tank was cycled im.scared of the fish dying from the spike! If its that high now is it likely to get higher with being feed or stay the same?!
This is a difficult question to answer. I will give you an example that might put your mind to rest. I was out of the hobby for about 6 years. When I set my tank back up I was starting from scratch. No seeded media. No bottled bacteria.

Just as i have always done I did a fish in cycle. When the nitrites spiked they spiked up off the chart. I was doing water changes daily. I did them for 5 straight days and on the 5th day the nitrites dropped to zero. My fish were swimming in water with a nitrite spike well over what some folks consider deadly. Most of the fish that were in this tank during that time are still with me alive and well.

Personally I wouldn't be at all concerned with nitrites as low as what you are seeing. They may go a bit higher but may not. The bottom line is, the bacteria needs ammonia to balance out. Water changes are going to be removing the food your bacteria needs. If the nitrites go no higher than what you are seeing right now I would not do a water change to get them down.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
This is a difficult question to answer. I will give you an example that might put your mind to rest. I was out of the hobby for about 6 years. When I set my tank back up I was starting from scratch. No seeded media. No bottled bacteria.

Just as i have always done I did a fish in cycle. When the nitrites spiked they spiked up off the chart. I was doing water changes daily. I did them for 5 straight days and on the 5th day the nitrites dropped to zero. My fish were swimming in water with a nitrite spike well over what some folks consider deadly. Most of the fish that were in this tank during that time are still with me alive and well.

Personally I wouldn't be at all concerned with nitrites as low as what you are seeing. They may go a bit higher but may not. The bottom line is, the bacteria needs ammonia to balance out. Water changes are going to be removing the food your bacteria needs. If the nitrites go no higher than what you are seeing right now I would not do a water change to get them down.
That definitely makes me feel better. Thank you! Will test again later today, see where i am and either leave til tomorrow or of higher do a small change. The fish normally get fed twice a day, so im.unsure if i should avoid the second lot today

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
That definitely makes me feel better. Thank you! Will test again later today, see where i am and either leave til tomorrow or of higher do a small change. The fish normally get fed twice a day, so im.unsure if i should avoid the second lot today
I would only feed them once a day until the cycle settles down.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay thank you. Gonna feel so guily haha
I know what you mean. They are little beggars and it is difficult to resist the begging but sometimes we have to. I have some that want food every time they see me but I know they are not hungry so have to be strong for their sake.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I know what you mean. They are little beggars and it is difficult to resist the begging but sometimes we have to. I have some that want food every time they see me but I know they are not hungry so have to be strong for their sake.
Yeah very true haha. Im just thinking, i was gonna retest later? But i fed them around 3 hours ago so wont that make the level higher atm anyways or does it not work like that?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
Yeah very true haha. Im just thinking, i was gonna retest later? But i fed them around 3 hours ago so wont that make the level higher atm anyways or does it not work like that?
I would only run the test once a day. Try to do it close to the same time each day. By doing it more often than that you will just be causing yourself more stress than necessary. Things move slowly in our tank. By giving it 24 hours between tests you won't be tempted to try to fix a problem that may not be a problem.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I would only run the test once a day. Try to do it close to the same time each day. By doing it more often than that you will just be causing yourself more stress than necessary. Things move slowly in our tank. By giving it 24 hours between tests you won't be tempted to try to fix a problem that may not be a problem.
Okay thank you. I dosed with 5ml of prime which is enough to treat 200 litres the tank is 170, would that be enough for today or try a bit more?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay thank you. I dosed with 5ml of prime which is enough to treat 200 litres the tank is 170, would that be enough for today or try a bit more?
That should be fine. I actually wouldn't add it daily. Every other day should be enough. If it would make you feel better you can add it daily but I don't know that it is necessary.

Flyfisha

Well Known
My two cents worth.
As you wait 5 minutes for the API test to be ready to read observe the behaviour of your fish. You most likely know how often the fish breath / move their mouths. You know where they swim normally. Not at the surface or lying on the substrate. I am not saying don’t test. Just saying look at your fish. It would not cost you more than a day or two to do an extra 20% water change. You may sleep better. Finishing a mini cycle is not a race.
Personally having killed fish from not responding to the signs and on another occasion done water changes at 2 o’clock in the morning I know what is easier to forget.

My opinion is clean water is much better than using Prime unless you are short of time.

Why are Americans so hung up on NOT using chemicals normally but so happy to dose extra Prime like it’s not a poison ? Is Prime not a chemical ? Dose Prime no warn of an overdose on the instructions?

You could do a 20% water change and add extra Prime?
Again only my opinion. Finishing a mini cycle is not a race.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
My two cents worth.
As you wait 5 minutes for the API test to be ready to read observe the behaviour of your fish. You most likely know how often the fish breath / move their mouths. You know where they swim normally. Not at the surface or lying on the substrate. I am not saying don’t test. Just saying look at your fish. It would not cost you more than a day or two to do an extra 20% water change. You may sleep better. Finishing a mini cycle is not a race.
Personally having killed fish from not responding to the signs and on another occasion done water changes at 2 o’clock in the morning I know what is easier to forget.

My opinion is clean water is much better than using Prime unless you are short of time.

Why are Americans so hung up on NOT using chemicals normally but so happy to dose extra Prime like it’s not a poison ? Is Prime not a chemical ? Dose Prime no warn of an overdose on the instructions?

Well number one im not american but thanks ‍♀. Yes my fish seem fine, acting normal....i use bottled water so doing a big water change everyday isnt possible until i get more bottles in! I use it due to 40+ nitrates in my tap water that i had huge issues with. I will see how they are acting in.a bit a decide then if i will do a.change. but my other tank went through a mini cycle and got through it in four days dosing daily with prime and it worked soo..

Flyfisha said:
My two cents worth.

And prime.also does tell you a dose...ots safe up to x5 overdose in.emergency.

mattgirl said:
That should be fine. I actually wouldn't add it daily. Every other day should be enough. If it would make you feel better you can add it daily but I don't know that it is necessary.
So i tested again, just cos i worry! And i think it looks lighter? I still have no ammonia and around 10 nitrate so haven't completely killed my cycle! I cant decide if to do a.change now or wait til.the morning! This is the test now, i dont think its blue but the lights in my room.arent great... Ps sorry to bother you again!
IMG_20200809_202209.jpg
15970011773018076304052461087082.jpg

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Both your fish and bacteria have been through a lot lately. Give them time to get settled in. Personally I would hold off on doing a water change for a few days. I am a firm believer in water changes so it is unusual for me to recommend not doing one right now but I truly don't think it is necessary to do one today or even tomorrow. Give the bacteria time to get settled in or you could run into problems.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
Both your fish and bacteria have been through a lot lately. Give them time to get settled in. Personally I would hold off on doing a water change for a few days. I am a firm believer in water changes so it is unusual for me to recommend not doing one right now but I truly don't think it is necessary to do one today or even tomorrow. Give the bacteria time to get settled in or you could run into problems.
Okay great thank you! At that low are my fish at much risk? I mean they seem fine atm, ive dosed with prime for the day so just re test tomorrow?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
Okay great thank you! At that low are my fish at much risk? I mean they seem fine atm, ive dosed with prime for the day so just re test tomorrow?
I really don't think they are at any risk. What you are seeing is almost nothing and in my humble opinion it isn't enough to cause any harm.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I really don't think they are at any risk. What you are seeing is almost nothing and in my humble opinion it isn't enough to cause any harm.
Okay thank you so much! :)

MsFancyFish

Sarah1230ox said:
Hi! Here’s some real life it just happened to me encouragement... in one of our 29 g Goldie tanks right after planting it we started getting way dangerous nitrite readings (we have never had any in all of our tanks)... we were both worried. Next day boyfriend woke me up with a purple test tube freaking out about how our fish were going to die! Right out of bed we made a hospital tank dosed it with methalyne blue, put the 3 Goldie’s in there and emptied 75% of the water out. We also removed some of the plants they had shredded and eaten grabbed some cycled decorations from a couple of our Betas, refilled dosed with prime and crises our fingers. Next day still nitrites 0 ammonia and no answers until boyfriend discovers that he basically tossed out our whole bacteria colony when he removed a huge bag of carbon so we could medicate them. Anyhoo, moral of the story is for the 3 days we were dealing with this we used prime and good sized water changes and everyone came out of it unscathed. If you have methalyne blue it’s great for helping with any nitrite poisoning you might be worried about (use as a bath or dip don’t add directly to your aquarium). And may I just say thank heavens for Prime! So many fish have been saved by this incredible product. Best of luck... I think you’ll be just fine!

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
MsFancyFish said:
Hi! Here’s some real life it just happened to me encouragement... in one of our 29 g Goldie tanks right after planting it we started getting way dangerous nitrite readings (we have never had any in all of our tanks)... we were both worried. Next day boyfriend woke me up with a purple test tube freaking out about how our fish were going to die! Right out of bed we made a hospital tank dosed it with methalyne blue, put the 3 Goldie’s in there and emptied 75% of the water out. We also removed some of the plants they had shredded and eaten grabbed some cycled decorations from a couple of our Betas, refilled dosed with prime and crises our fingers. Next day still nitrites 0 ammonia and no answers until boyfriend discovers that he basically tossed out our whole bacteria colony when he removed a huge bag of carbon so we could medicate them. Anyhoo, moral of the story is for the 3 days we were dealing with this we used prime and good sized water changes and everyone came out of it unscathed. If you have methalyne blue it’s great for helping with any nitrite poisoning you might be worried about (use as a bath or dip don’t add directly to your aquarium). And may I just say thank heavens for Prime! So many fish have been saved by this incredible product. Best of luck... I think you’ll be just fine!
Thank you!! Luckily it was only a slight purple so very low, theyve been dosed with prime like you say thank god for prime! Will re test in the morning! Im.not too worried atm as everyone seems fine and happy, i think the fact i took the media out for 10 mins to try set up a.new filter and all the gravel is new is the cause! But hopefully a few days and all.will be well! I know salt can apparently be good to use during a spike which i do have! Thank you :)

Flyfisha

Well Known
My humble apologies Sarah1230x.

You are right Prime will kill when used at a rate of more than five times the recommended dose.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
My humble apologies Sarah1230x , calling someone an American when they are not at this time is a pretty low act . I am sorry.

You are right Prime will kill when used at a rate of more than five times the recommended dose.
Was just random aha. Fish are fine, going to test again now

mattgirl said:
Its me again ha ha! I honestly appreciate you keep replying and helping, ive tested this morning, 0 ammonia and im pretty sure 0 nitrite?! Im.confused i thought mini cycles lasted at least a few days? Am.i just seeing 0 because the prime? Or am i okay now? Obviously i plan on testing again tomorrow!

IMG_20200810_121918.jpg
IMG_20200810_121924.jpg

Flyfisha

Well Known
The Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for up to 48 hours, but does not change the test results. It still shows up on the API liquid test at the same amount regardless of how much Prime .

I have read that bacteria can double in numbers every 24 hours. That could be just a story?

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
The Prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for up to 48 hours, but does not change the test results. It still shows up on the API liquid test at the same amount regardless of how much Prime .

I have read that bacteria can double in numbers every 24 hours. That could be just a story?
Okay thank you! So if i have 0 nitrite today i should be on the right track now? Completely confused haha was expecting weeks of nitrite levels! Not sure could be true i guess!

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I don't think what you were seeing was a full blown mini-cycle. As Flyfisha said, Bacteria grows fast. I know an original cycle can take a long time to get established but once established bacteria can replace what has been lost very quickly.

I would say the bacteria in this tank has now caught back up to the bio-load. I tried to put your mind to rest about it. I wish I had been able to do so. I am glad you didn't do the water change and decided to let the bacteria do what it is supposed to do. :)

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I don't think what you were seeing was a full blown mini-cycle. As Flyfisha said, Bacteria grows fast. I know an original cycle can take a long time to get established but once established bacteria can replace what has been lost very quickly.

I would say the bacteria in this tank has now caught back up to the bio-load. I tried to put your mind to rest about it. I wish I had been able to do so. I am glad you didn't do the water change and decided to let the bacteria do what it is supposed to do. :)
You did help honestly! If it wasnt for you id of panicked and done a big water change! Will keep an eye on it for a few days still but.looks like.its all fine thank god thank you so much for not getting annoyed with all.the messages ha ha! :)

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
So on another note. I have a small 30 litre tank which has had two.platy and six minnows for around two months cycled and everything fine but im thinking of cutting down to one tank finding both stressful due to my ocd long story....obviously ive just had a spike so dont want to right now, but would adding them say in a few weeks cause another spike?! Also worried the minnows would be eaten by the goldfish.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Sarah1230ox said:
So on another note. I have a small 30 litre tank which has had two.platy and six minnows for around two months cycled and everything fine but im thinking of cutting down to one tank finding both stressful due to my ocd long story....obviously ive just had a spike so dont want to right now, but would adding them say in a few weeks cause another spike?! Also worried the minnows would be eaten by the goldfish.
I don't know whether or not they will get eaten but should you choose to move them over move no more than 2 at a time to allow the bacteria to catch up with a higher bio-load. Do that once a week until all are moved over. As you have just found out, bacteria grows quickly so will grow quickly enough to handle the higher bio-load without causing a glitch.

If you moved all of them over at the same time you would most likely get an ammonia spike.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:
I don't know whether or not they will get eaten but should you choose to move them over move no more than 2 at a time to allow the bacteria to catch up with a higher bio-load. Do that once a week until all are moved over. As you have just found out, bacteria grows quickly so will grow quickly enough to handle the higher bio-load without causing a glitch.

If you moved all of them over at the same time you would most likely get an ammonia spike.
Great thank you

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
mattgirl said:

Me again, today ive seen one platy rub on the sand then a couple of danio :( i cant see no white spot or anything but something is obviously going on what should i treat for?!

Flyfisha

Well Known
Hi again,
Do you know the water parameters/ what is the ammonia level and PH. Is the tank cycled yet.

While rubbing on the substrate also called flashing can be a sign of external or internal parasites it’s also possible the water is burning the skin. It’s possible the PH is swinging as the tank cycles which might also create an uncomfortable fish.
While we can do little about the PH swing in a cycling tank changing out some water for fresh is always an option.

Just how often are the fish flashing/ rubbing? How many times per hour/ per 5 minutes?

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Flyfisha said:
Hi again,
Do you know the water parameters/ what is the ammonia level and PH. Is the tank cycled yet.

While rubbing on the substrate also called flashing can be a sign of internal parasites it’s also possible the water is burning the skin. It’s possible the PH is swinging as the tank cycles which might also create an uncomfortable fish.
While we can do little about the PH swing in a cycling tank changing out some water for fresh is always an option.

Just how often are the fish flashing/ rubbing? How many times per hour/ per 5 minutes?
The tank is cycled, my nitrite spike only lasted 24 hours! 0 ammonia 0 nitrtie and 20 nitrate. Ph last time i checked was 8. Literally done a water change a few hours ago. Maybe two or three times an hour only noticed it a few times today. I might just treat for white spot see what happens

New Threads