Nitrite spike

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by afwife07, Apr 18, 2012.

1. a

afwife07 New Member Member

First off, I want to say that we made a mistake in our big tank. Petsmart steered us wrong(of course we should have done a little more research too), in setting up our tank. Its taken over 2 months for it to almost complete cycling. Last night we had noticed several fish acting weird(mollies sitting at bottom, several hiding) and tested water. Ammonia was about .25, nitrites were about .25. We did a 50% water change, and tested again, and it was normal. Waited about an hour and a half and tested again, and nitrites were still about .25, and did a 25% change. Fish seemed fine after the changes. This morning we tested water and nitrites were still at .25. We had done a fishless cycle on a secondary tank and it had completed its cycle (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20 nitrates), so we moved all our fish into it. Its smaller(from a 55 gal to a 37), and tonight tested water in it. Ammonia is barely there, but nitrites were .5. The fish had been in the tank about 12 hours. What could have caused this, and what can we do to fix this? We have been dosing tanks with Amquel+ (ammonia elevated right out if tap), and its not done anything to help. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

2. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Is is possible there is a dead fish somewhere in your tank. That can always cause spikes of nitrite. It sounds like you are just still cycling. I know that it is difficult to keep your patience, but just stick to the large water changes. I took me almost 4 months to cycle my 55 gallon tank. I was doing 50% water changes everyday. I had to do massive water changes to keep the levels low enough for the fish which hindered the growth of good bacterial. But stick to it, it will happen. The day there is no ammonia and no nitrite and your nitrates are higher is a great day.

3. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

You said you are using amquel+. In my recommendation, I would say use prime instead because prime seems to work better for the tank. I think its something like 1x dose can remove 1ppm of nitrite and in emergency you can use up to 5x dose (double check on these numbers).

4. OP
    OP
    a

afwife07 New Member Member

We did have an algae eater that had died in the big tank, but he hadnt been in there long(several hours at the most). Could that short time have done it? And can live plants have an affect on the readings?

We will have to try the Prime.

Is there anything we can do for the little tank that the fish are in now, or just wait? Thats the biggest problem right now. We were trying to get them away from the Nitrites, but it seems it just followed it.

5. CichlidSWAGA

CichlidSWAGA Well Known Member Member

It is probably going through a mini cycle cause you put the fish in there and that will create a new bio-load which the tank is not use to. IMO i think you should add fish very slowly to a new tank like one or two new fish at a time (every week or two) depending on the fish of corse. I have never used amquel+ so i can't bad mouth it but i do like prime a lot. Also i would test your tap water if could just be coming from that

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from More Freshwater Aquarium Topics to Aquarium Water/Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice