Nitrite Spike!! what do I do?? Help

1. bruiser Member Member

Hey, I have an established 10gallon tank, and Im in the beggining stages of cycling a new 33gallon.

I had a cat fish die in the 10g, so I tested, nitrite was up a bit, I did a 25% water change and treated it with some Prime. a few hours past and my other fish were acting up.. Real twitchy like.. No other signs of stress though..

I immediately moved them to the 33g, because my cycle hasn't really started yet.. They all seem to be doing just fine now.. but i'd like to get them out and back in the 10g before the cycle gets too harsh for them..

any tips on how to bring the nitrite back down?? also can anyone tell me why this might have happened for future prevention??

thanks a lot!!

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm really sorry about your fish. :(
    If the 10g was established, looks like it might be a mini cycle.
    What is your ammonia and nitrate reading?
    Looks like some daily water changes with Prime until your numbers are back to normal.
    Best of luck.

3. bruiser Member Member

Hey lucy,

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - about 20 (was the peak..)

I tested it again this morning, and it seems to be good. I'm gonna let it go for one more day and check it again.. See where I'm at.. the fish seem to like the bigger tank anyways, and it the cycle isn't too far along yet. There all lookin real happy and healthy.

4. David C Well Known Member Member

Daily water changes like Lucy said is the only solution. Just checking though, you mean nitrites were 20 and not nitrates, right? Sometimes they get mixed up.

Dave

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

nitrite of 20 = dead fish,
    methinks it was a typo. ;)