Nitrite spike, is my fishless cycle stalled?

DustinJayW

Hi everyone, I am 30 days into my 55 gallon tank fish less cycle. I am using Ace Hardware 10% ammonia.

It took 15 days for my first nitrite reading to appear. The last 12 days or so Nitrite has been off the charts. Nitrate has appeared but has been stuck at about 10ppm for about 12 days as well.

I did a dilution with 4ml tap water and 1ml tank water and still got an off the charts nitrite reading, so I know I have a lot of nitrites in there. I have been waiting for the ammonia to drop all the way to 0 AND waiting 24 hours before dosing back up to 2ppm again to try and not over feed the bacteria.

My question is, is my cycle stalled? Should I just keep waiting it out or is a water change in order? I’ve been essentially stuck at the below reading for 10-12 days.

You must be registered to see images

Thanks for your help!! :)

StarGirl

Where is your pH sitting right now? Is you tap water all zeros?

DustinJayW

Where is your pH sitting right now? Is you tap water all zeros?
Hi there, ph is hanging at about 7. Tap is all 0’s except for a tinge of ammonia from chloramine.

StarGirl

Whats your tap pH? If it is more than 7 do a water change to boost it up in the tank. 30 days is still a little early. Keep adding ammonia when it reaches zero, one day your nitrites will just be gone. You have a nitrate reading with nothing in the tap is odd though at this point.

DustinJayW

Whats your tap pH? If it is more than 7 do a water change to boost it up in the tank. 30 days is still a little early. Keep adding ammonia when it reaches zero, one day your nitrites will just be gone. You have a nitrate reading with nothing in the tap is odd though at this point.
Thanks for taking the time to give advice. Tap ph and tank ph are roughly the same so I should be sitting good there. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

StarGirl

You are welcome. Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Azedenkae

Hi everyone, I am 30 days into my 55 gallon tank fish less cycle. I am using Ace Hardware 10% ammonia.

It took 15 days for my first nitrite reading to appear. The last 12 days or so Nitrite has been off the charts. Nitrate has appeared but has been stuck at about 10ppm for about 12 days as well.

I did a dilution with 4ml tap water and 1ml tank water and still got an off the charts nitrite reading, so I know I have a lot of nitrites in there. I have been waiting for the ammonia to drop all the way to 0 AND waiting 24 hours before dosing back up to 2ppm again to try and not over feed the bacteria.

My question is, is my cycle stalled? Should I just keep waiting it out or is a water change in order? I’ve been essentially stuck at the below reading for 10-12 days.

You must be registered to see images

Thanks for your help!! :)
It doesn't look like your cycle stalled. After all, ammonia still seem to be processed.

But by constantly dosing ammonia, you are probably just causing nitrite to increase far too much than necessary, and it will take an unnecessarily long time for your nitrite to finally reach zero again if you keep doing that.

Best to do a 100% water change to reset the parameters, then dose 2ppm ammonia again, but this time only re-dose when both ammonia and nitrite reads zero.

That will help nitrite from reaching such high levels that it'll take forever to cycle.

Good luck!

DustinJayW

It doesn't look like your cycle stalled. After all, ammonia still seem to be processed.

But by constantly dosing ammonia, you are probably just causing nitrite to increase far too much than necessary, and it will take an unnecessarily long time for your nitrite to finally reach zero again if you keep doing that.

Best to do a 100% water change to reset the parameters, then dose 2ppm ammonia again, but this time only re-dose when both ammonia and nitrite reads zero.

That will help nitrite from reaching such high levels that it'll take forever to cycle.

Good luck!
Hey there, thanks for the advice. I imagine a water change certainly wouldn’t hurt anything so it could definitely be worth a shot if there’s nothing to lose. Thanks for the help.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Caffee
Replies
Views
TWiG87
Replies
Views
Algonquin
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Nitrite Levels