Nitrite Spike From Ich-x.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 15L has very early stages of ich. (I think? Saw a few white spots on a few platys dorsal and tail fins... (about 4-6 spots total per fish) ...some flashing, and suling at the bottom every once and a while as well, but they still seem to be eating just fine. So 3 days ago, raised my 15L's temp to 85-86 degrees F, and added a small bit of aquarium salt (medium planted tank, so just added a wee bit, about maybe 2 tsps.) and it seems the ich may be in stage 2 of the parasite's life cycle, as most of the white spots have vanished. Just to be sure, I did a WC (about 30%) and added some ICH-X. Now, my ammonia's .00, but my nitrite's now at .50, and nitrate's at about 20. Added some Prime and Stability as well to hopefully get rid of this nitrite spike. Also read somehwere, that strong meds can sometimes cause sudden nitrite spikes...? (Via my ICH-X dosing?) Any thoughts everyone? Thank you in advance. Pretty sure I just need to be patient, monitor my water chemistry and allow the nitrobacter/BB to more potently re-restablish itself etc.

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, you should never use all the ick treatments at once. Either treat with chemicals following the package instructions exactly.

Or

Treat with salt, using the proper volume for your tank.

Or

Treat with heat for a full two weeks, raising and lowering the temperature gradually while increasing aeration and doing frequent substrate vacuuming.

Using a cafeteria approach will stress the tank and cause issues such as you are experiencing . You may want to do a water change and then supplement the beneficial bacteria to help reestablish your cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom