Nitrite spike every other day

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My ammonia is always 0. But my Nitrites keeps to increase to 0.5 to 1 ppm every other day. Is this because my nitrite feeding bacterias are lesser than ammonia feeding ones?

Thanks!

IsThisAGoodUsername

Reaction score
What is your stock? How big is your tank? and How long has it been going for? If it was not cycled before fish were put in that could cause it, it could be overstocking. Or you could be overfeeding, there are more things it could be but its hard to know with such little info

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IsThisAGoodUsername said:
What is your stock? How big is your tank? and How long has it been going for? If it was not cycled before fish were put in that could cause it, it could be overstocking. Or you could be overfeeding, there are more things it could be but its hard to know with such little info
All details in my profile. It fisnished cycling a week before. Reading were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate

10 gallon tank.
only one Betta fish
lots of live plants and live plant trimmings and two. pothos in filter

But this is yesterdays reading.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.25
Nitrate - 10

IsThisAGoodUsername

Reaction score
Then its not Overstocking for sure, and with all those plants help, How much do you feed a day? What are you feeding your betta?

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then its not Overstocking for sure, and with all those plants help, How much do you feed a day? What are you feeding your betta?
Hiraki tropical fish micro pellet. I feed twice a day. small pinch between my fingers. less than 10 always

Hello, I edited the comment about my readings. Please re-check. The one ar the bottom is the current reading I took yesterday before water change. The one that is first was on the day it finished cycling

IsThisAGoodUsername

Reaction score
Ok, overfeeding might be it, I Feed my betta one time every 2 days, it is somewhat different because i feed blood worms, But it could still be the problem, so you may want to try feeding less and see if that fixes the problem

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, overfeeding might be it, I Feed my betta one time every 2 days, it is somewhat different because i feed blood worms, But it could still be the problem, so you may want to try feeding less and see if that fixes the problem
Is it because he might waste the pellets or because he is excreting too much? If excess food is the problem, I feed one by one only to make sure not a single pellet goes down (LOL yeah, that's my training time as well).

IsThisAGoodUsername

Reaction score
Wasting pellets in my experience, makes problems more then a fish excreting too much, but a fish excreting too much can also be the problem

fanutd100

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sound to me like the tank is not fully cycled.

I meant you may have reading of 0 for Ammonia and Nitrite, but since you have plant (eating the excess nutrient), you might not putting enough Ammonia during cycle process.

Now that you have a Betta fish, and (over)feeding, the bacteria colony is truly being tested.

Plants prefers Ammonia, so plants and bacteria compete would often mean Ammonia level is low(er). In this case 0ppm.

CichlidCody

Reaction score
Having any level of nitrite means your tank is not cycled and any level of nitrites is extremely dangerous for any fish/inverts. You need to do a water change right now to remove that .25ppm nitrite. Then you need to recycle your tank

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your tank is was not fully cycled at all or not anymore . Having nitrites means your tank is mid cycle. Do you have Prime water conditioner on hand? You will need it to bind the toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite for your fish while you recycle the tank. Any level of Nitrites is very very deadly to fish/inverts, even .25ppm is deadly enough. You need to perform a water change right now to remove the nitrites and continue to monitor your parameters daily

Frank the Fish guy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Add Prime to detoxify the nitrite. Perhaps 2 drops per gallon every day until it cycles (reads 0 ammonia and nitrites) while you also do water changes to dilute the nitrite.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidCody said:
Having any level of nitrite means your tank is not cycled and any level of nitrites is extremely dangerous for any fish/inverts. You need to do a water change right now to remove that .25ppm nitrite. Then you need to recycle your tank
Blueberrybetta said:
Your tank is was not fully cycled at all or not anymore . Having nitrites means your tank is mid cycle. Do you have Prime water conditioner on hand? You will need it to bind the toxic levels of ammonia/nitrite for your fish while you recycle the tank. Any level of Nitrites is very very deadly to fish/inverts, even .25ppm is deadly enough. You need to perform a water change right now to remove the nitrites and continue to monitor your parameters daily
Ok, Sorry for the delayed reply. As soon as I saw @CichlidCody reply, I went to test the tank water and the nitrite was .25ppm. I guess it could be because I only changed 25% water yesterday (Usually I do 50%), So I changed 50% now and will take another test tomorrow around the same time. I'm pretty sure it will be 0 and then day after tomorrow it will spike. Do any of you guys have any idea why it happens?

Blueberrybetta said:
Yes, I have Prime. Just did a 50% water change.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I seem to see this more and more often. Fishless cycle shows to be complete. Add fish and soon experience a mini-cycle. That seems to be what is happening here. This is leading me to believe there is a difference in cycling with ammonia from a bottle and cycling with fish waste. Once the bacteria starts getting its food from fish waste it seems it has to readjust itself and get used to the new food. I feel sure what you are seeing is temporary.

As long as the nitrites don't go any higher than what you are seeing I actually think your little guy will be alright. You really don't want to be removing the little bit of ammonia your little guy is producing by doing frequent water changes because you will be removing the food your bacteria needs.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
I seem to see this more and more often. Fishless cycle shows to be complete. Add fish and soon experience a mini-cycle. That seems to be what is happening here. This is leading me to believe there is a difference in cycling with ammonia from a bottle and cycling with fish waste. Once the bacteria starts getting its food from fish waste it seems it has to readjust itself and get used to the new food. I feel sure what you are seeing is temporary.

As long as the nitrites don't go any higher than what you are seeing I actually think your little guy will be alright. You really don't want to be removing the little bit of ammonia your little guy is producing by doing frequent water changes because you will be removing the food your bacteria needs.
I was doing a fish-in cycle. On July 1. The readings were Ammonia- 0, Nitrite - 0 and Nitrate - 5 to 10. So On the same day I added a lot of plant trimmings and Java moss and kept checking the parameters everyday And again on July 4the nitrites spiked to .5 ppm. I did 50% and then again 6th it increased to .25 to .5. So again I did 50% water change. but I do see the nitrite readings during the spike seems to get lower(color gets lighter and lighter) as the week progress. Yesterday it was close to .25 on the lower end.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As you probably already know once nitrites spike and then go back down to zero we seldom ever see them again. It is unusual for yours to keep appearing. If it were me I would hold off on the water changes during the spike and allow the bacteria to clear it out. As long as it is .5 or lower I don't think it will be a problem for your little guy. By doing the water change each time you see the nitrites you may be prolonging the mini-cycle.

As most folks here know I am an advocate for large water changes so this may seem out of character for me but as long as you aren't seeing any ammonia I would try to go at least 2 weeks before doing another water change. With just the one little guy in a 10 gallon tank I don't think going 2 weeks will be detrimental to your little guy. It should give the bacteria a chance to grow stronger before the small amount of ammonia your little guy produces is pulled out with a water change.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
As you probably already know once nitrites spike and then go back down to zero we seldom ever see them again. It is unusual for yours to keep appearing. If it were me I would hold off on the water changes during the spike and allow the bacteria to clear it out. As long as it is .5 or lower I don't think it will be a problem for your little guy. By doing the water change each time you see the nitrites you may be prolonging the mini-cycle.

As most folks here know I am an advocate for large water changes so this may seem out of character for me but as long as you aren't seeing any ammonia I would try to go at least 2 weeks before doing another water change. With just the one little guy in a 10 gallon tank I don't think going 2 weeks will be detrimental to your little guy. It should give the bacteria a chance to grow stronger before the small amount of ammonia your little guy produces is pulled out with a water change.
Sure, thank you for explaining it in details :) I will wait for 2 weeks before next water change and keep checking the paramters everyday. So If it ever exceeds above .5, how much water change should I do? 50% or less?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
depan89 said:
Sure, thank you for explaining it in details :) I will wait for 2 weeks before next water change and keep checking the paramters everyday. So If it ever exceeds above .5, how much water change should I do? 50% or less?
The amount of water you need to change depends on the numbers. If it goes up to 1 a 50% water change should get it back down to .5 You said the nitrites were dropping as time went on so we have to think you do have nitrite eating bacteria. It is just a matter of time until there is enough to process all of it. Hopefully by the end of 2 weeks you will have enough nitrite eating bacteria to process all of the nitrites as they are being produced.

Just because we don't normally see nitrites in a fully cycled tank doesn't mean they aren't being produced. It just means we have enough bacteria to clear them out as quickly as they are being produced. In your case there just isn't enough bacteria to instantly remove them.

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:
The amount of water you need to change depends on the numbers. If it goes up to 1 a 50% water change should get it back down to .5 You said the nitrites were dropping as time went on so we have to think you do have nitrite eating bacteria. It is just a matter of time until there is enough to process all of it. Hopefully by the end of 2 weeks you will have enough nitrite eating bacteria to process all of the nitrites as they are being produced.

Just because we don't normally see nitrites in a fully cycled tank doesn't mean they aren't being produced. It just means we have enough bacteria to clear them out as quickly as they are being produced. In your case there just isn't enough bacteria to instantly remove them.
Understood. Thank you!

OP
depan89

depan89

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
mattgirl said:

Hello @mattgirl , The nitrite is down to 0 and so is ammonia and Nitrates. They are all 0. What should I do next?

New Threads