Nitrite spike and mini cycle

stephpartin

Hello everyone I need some serious help!! Not in that way...Lol I did a fishless cycle on a a 16 gallon Fluval spec and ended up buying sick fish when it was time., The Fish went back to the store and now I'm left with this infested tank that I read has to disinfect for 10 days. So I was following the directions to disinfect the tank and it said to drain the aquarium of all water and then refill it. Let it set for ten days while adding ammonia at .5 ppm to keep the cycle going. After the ten days it says to drain it again and refill it. When I'm sure all the parasites are gone? I'm supposed to add fish with some sort of preventative medication.
Right now my water parameters are
PH - 7
ammonia 0 (I changed the water last night and used prime so I really don't know how much ammonia is in the tank!!
Nitrite - 1ppm
Nitrate - Between 0 - .50

I did do a lot of gravel vacuuming to suck up the parasites and ich hiding in between the gravel which could have stirred up everything causing the nitrite spike? I knew it was risky doing this since my cycle was so new but it had to be done.

I have never had a nitrite spike before especially when I do not know how much ammonia is in the tank and I need help on what to do next to lower the nitrite. I did drain the tank already and when I tested it it was at 2ppm nitrite so I had to change more water the next day (yesterday) to get it lower. Should I just change more water? Thanks so much for any help:)))

MrBryan723

Well Known
Are there any fish in the tank? I'm gathering not currently so I'll go with that. Don't bother with the water changes. You're just slowing progress. Ich needs a host and without one it cannot survive veey long, so 10 days would be plenty of time to let it die off in a fishless tank, if anyrhing raise the water temp up as high as it will go for a few days to be safe. The nitrite spike is the 2nd stage in the cycle so as long as you don't have fish and keep feeding ammonia you're on the right track. If it starts to climb up off the charts you can do a water change to keep it under 4 or 5ppm but you have a good bit of forgiveness until the cycle is completed.

OP
stephpartin

stephpartin

MrBryan723 said:
Are there any fish in the tank? I'm gathering not currently so I'll go with that. Don't bother with the water changes. You're just slowing progress. Ich needs a host and without one it cannot survive veey long, so 10 days would be plenty of time to let it die off in a fishless tank, if anyrhing raise the water temp up as high as it will go for a few days to be safe. The nitrite spike is the 2nd stage in the cycle so as long as you don't have fish and keep feeding ammonia you're on the right track. If it starts to climb up off the charts you can do a water change to keep it under 4 or 5ppm but you have a good bit of forgiveness until the cycle is completed.
Hello and thank you so much for replying !! No currently there are no fish in the tank. My nitrite is staying steady at 2ppm. So I guess I'll stop the water changes and raise the temp. Hopefully my cycle will straighten itself out. I can't thank you enough for your help:)) Have a great day....

New Threads