Nitrite Reappears

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kingofnon, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Kingofnon

Kingofnon Valued Member Member

Ok so i was hoping tp get spme fish in there in the next couple of days...

After 14 days of
    5ppm

The last two days my nitrite is now 0.25 delays my fish.... why would this happen??

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Nitrogen cycle lasts from 4-8 weeks, so thats normal... some ammonia did get turned in nitrite and then it should be turned to nintrate if everything is working.

Wait one more week at least before putting fish in tank, check parameters in a week before you go and buy some fish. And don't put too many fish at once. I don't know what you are planning to put in tank but i wouldn't put more than 3-4 fishes at once. Then check your parameters and after 5-7 days put another 3-4 fishes etc. Unitl you are full.

In this hobby patience is a gold.

3. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

The cycle of a tank is a never ending circle. ammonia=nitrites=nitrates, It is constantly converting. You probably ran your test before the ammonia completely converted through nitrites to nitrates.

Normally we don't see the ammonia or nitrites in a fully cycled and established tank but they are still there. If we have grown a lot of very strong bacteria it does it very quickly so we normally don't see them.

4. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

Kingofnon Valued Member Member

So the orginal cycle continues

5. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Sorta kinda :D The cycle actually never ends if one really thinks about it.

But...isn't there always a but :D

At least once the cycle is stable one should no longer have spikes of one or the other. It should just smoothly go from ammonia to nitrites and finally nitrates that will be removed by water changes or lots and lots of plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice