Help Nitrite Issue And Hurricane Coming!!!!

Rose of Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey Guys!
So in preparation for the hurricane that is upon us here in Louisiana, I did a 70% water change on my 5 gallon tank yesterday. I only have one betta, and I tested his water the day before yesterday, and the parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 ppm's of nitrate and 7.6 for the ph.

The ammonia was kind of dark yellow, so I could tell that I would be needing to do a water change soon.

So, in trying to get ready for Barry the hurricane, I did the water change. We did not expect to lose electricity yesterday/last night, but we did for some stupid reason.

Now that the electricity is back on, I made sure that the filter and heater were working on the little guy's tank. I tested the water to see if everything was ok, and suddenly I have 0 ammonia, .25ppm's of nitrite, 10 ppms of nitrate, and a ph of 7.6. I did a 30% water change, and dosed with Prime. I know that you can overdose with Prime.

We may lose power again, and it may be off for two days or so.

What should I do from here on out? The poor fish is already stressed after last night. He also started biting his tail earlier in the week for some unknown reason, so I am also trying to make sure that we don't get fin rot, or any other type of infection. I am dosing with Seachem's Stress guard (love that stuff) and Paraguard just in case.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rose of Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yikes good luck. What category?
I was able to get back on...some rain passed and just wind for now

It has been downgraded to a tropical storm now

It will pick up again; lots of rain and high winds with this one, which means lots of flooding.

We are kind of on a hill so the flooding shouldn't be an issue but the 40 to 50 mph winds are always an issue!

dose up to 5x Prime for up to 2ppm ammonia/nitrite.

good luck and stay safe.

this morning was still a TS, but now its a cat 1 now.
Ok, I will; I will check his water daily and continue to use Prime.

Hopefully, it will work itself out.

And we are definitely in for a wild time tonight and tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Oh ok. Luckily the only things I have to worry about here in Los Angeles are fires and earthquakes
Wow....I give, you win on that one!

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was able to get back on...some rain passed and just wind for now

It has been downgraded to a tropical storm now

It will pick up again; lots of rain and high winds with this one, which means lots of flooding.

We are kind of on a hill so the flooding shouldn't be an issue but the 40 to 50 mph winds are always an issue!

Ok, I will; I will check his water daily and continue to use Prime.

Hopefully, it will work itself out.

And we are definitely in for a wild time tonight and tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Wow....I give, you win on that one!
Yep, sure is a win. Well good luck and stay safe

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom