Help Nitrite Issue And Hurricane Coming!!!!

Rose of Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey Guys!
So in preparation for the hurricane that is upon us here in Louisiana, I did a 70% water change on my 5 gallon tank yesterday. I only have one betta, and I tested his water the day before yesterday, and the parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 ppm's of nitrate and 7.6 for the ph.

The ammonia was kind of dark yellow, so I could tell that I would be needing to do a water change soon.

So, in trying to get ready for Barry the hurricane, I did the water change. We did not expect to lose electricity yesterday/last night, but we did for some stupid reason.

Now that the electricity is back on, I made sure that the filter and heater were working on the little guy's tank. I tested the water to see if everything was ok, and suddenly I have 0 ammonia, .25ppm's of nitrite, 10 ppms of nitrate, and a ph of 7.6. I did a 30% water change, and dosed with Prime. I know that you can overdose with Prime.

We may lose power again, and it may be off for two days or so.

What should I do from here on out? The poor fish is already stressed after last night. He also started biting his tail earlier in the week for some unknown reason, so I am also trying to make sure that we don't get fin rot, or any other type of infection. I am dosing with Seachem's Stress guard (love that stuff) and Paraguard just in case.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Rose of Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did something happen to the filter? I know that AOB’s are more resilient than nitrite bacter
It seems to be working fine. I have an HOB filter with a intake sponge and extra filter material inside of the filter itself.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dose up to 5x Prime for up to 2ppm ammonia/nitrite.

good luck and stay safe.

this morning was still a TS, but now its a cat 1 now.

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

good luck and stay safe.

Oh ok. Luckily the only things I have to worry about here in Los Angeles are fires and earthquakes

Rose of Sharon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yikes good luck. What category?
I was able to get back on...some rain passed and just wind for now

It has been downgraded to a tropical storm now

It will pick up again; lots of rain and high winds with this one, which means lots of flooding.

We are kind of on a hill so the flooding shouldn't be an issue but the 40 to 50 mph winds are always an issue!

good luck and stay safe.

Ok, I will; I will check his water daily and continue to use Prime.

Hopefully, it will work itself out.

And we are definitely in for a wild time tonight and tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Oh ok. Luckily the only things I have to worry about here in Los Angeles are fires and earthquakes
Wow....I give, you win on that one!

Finatic005

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was able to get back on...some rain passed and just wind for now

It has been downgraded to a tropical storm now

It will pick up again; lots of rain and high winds with this one, which means lots of flooding.

We are kind of on a hill so the flooding shouldn't be an issue but the 40 to 50 mph winds are always an issue!

Ok, I will; I will check his water daily and continue to use Prime.

Hopefully, it will work itself out.

And we are definitely in for a wild time tonight and tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Wow....I give, you win on that one!
Yep, sure is a win. Well good luck and stay safe

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First and foremost stay safe. You can pick up a battery operated air pump for pretty cheap in the case of power outages and another thing to keep in mind is if you have a type of ceramic media in your HOB in a mesh bag it can be dropped into your tank to help it stay wet and preserve the BB that has been growing in your HOB. Good luck!!

Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 75.0%

Top Bottom