Nitrite help!

Marinero

Reaction score
I've had my had my 5 g aquarium for a little over a month. I didn't do any research on caring for fish until after. My neons are doing fine but I've lost ghost shrimp :'(. Anyway, I just bought some test strips and my nitrite levels are very high. Does this mean it's close to being cycled? If so, anything I can do in the meantime to lower the nitrite levels? Will my neons make it? :-\

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That means it's getting close. Your Nitrites should drop to 0 and NitrAtes should show up. How high are your nitrites? You might want to do a water change if your nitrites are high.
Carol

OP
M

Marinero

Reaction score
Nitrites were maxed in the red in the "danger" zone on the color strip. I did a water change and they went back down to "stress" category. :-\

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You might want to do a change each day until it gets down into the safe range. It will still cycle just fine.
Carol

OP
M

Marinero

Reaction score
Ok right now my nitrites are over 5 and nitrates 20 :-\ Does that mean I'm close to being cycled?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It means that your close and you still need to do a water change Both of those are a little high.
Carol

New Threads