Nitrite help!

1. Marinero Member Member

I've had my had my 5 g aquarium for a little over a month. I didn't do any research on caring for fish until after. My neons are doing fine but I've lost ghost shrimp :'(. Anyway, I just bought some test strips and my nitrite levels are very high. Does this mean it's close to being cycled? If so, anything I can do in the meantime to lower the nitrite levels? Will my neons make it? :-\

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

That means it's getting close. Your Nitrites should drop to 0 and NitrAtes should show up. How high are your nitrites? You might want to do a water change if your nitrites are high.
    Carol

3. Marinero Member Member

Nitrites were maxed in the red in the "danger" zone on the color strip. I did a water change and they went back down to "stress" category. :-\

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

You might want to do a change each day until it gets down into the safe range. It will still cycle just fine.
    Carol

5. Marinero Member Member

Ok right now my nitrites are over 5 and nitrates 20 :-\ Does that mean I'm close to being cycled?

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It means that your close and you still need to do a water change ;) Both of those are a little high.
    Carol