Nitrite help!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Marinero, Dec 23, 2005.

1. MarineroValued MemberMember

I've had my had my 5 g aquarium for a little over a month. I didn't do any research on caring for fish until after. My neons are doing fine but I've lost ghost shrimp :'(. Anyway, I just bought some test strips and my nitrite levels are very high. Does this mean it's close to being cycled? If so, anything I can do in the meantime to lower the nitrite levels? Will my neons make it? :-\

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

That means it's getting close. Your Nitrites should drop to 0 and NitrAtes should show up. How high are your nitrites? You might want to do a water change if your nitrites are high.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    M

MarineroValued MemberMember

Nitrites were maxed in the red in the "danger" zone on the color strip. I did a water change and they went back down to "stress" category. :-\

4. Butterfly

You might want to do a change each day until it gets down into the safe range. It will still cycle just fine.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    M

MarineroValued MemberMember

Ok right now my nitrites are over 5 and nitrates 20 :-\ Does that mean I'm close to being cycled?

6. Butterfly

It means that your close and you still need to do a water change ;) Both of those are a little high.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice