nitrite change?? Question 

  • Thread starter

Damon

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Experience
1 year
Cycle Question.... During cycle went from ammonium spike of 4.0 to now about .50 ..... Nitrate from 0 to now 5.0 ..... however Nitrite has not chaged a bit from 0. is it possible during my testing i simply "missed" any quick change in nitrite levels? I know that I want nitrite to be at 0 in the end, but just curious cause i didnt notice any change yet my other readings are changing. And do i seem to be on the right track?
 

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Messages
944
Reaction score
9
Points
113
Experience
5 years
Ya, sometimes it can happen fast and you dont notice a spike at all. The bacteria are there that eat the nitrite because you are seeing nitrates.

Your close to the end my friend!
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
Welcome to Fishlore Damon!

Often the NO2 spike is so quick that it can be missed. I'd continue to monitor the water parameters daily. Is this the tank in your profile? Or, is this a new tank you are cycling? I will assume this is the tank in your profile, which is stocked with fish. If I am incorrect, please correct me.

Your profile indicates that you are using Cycle. Often this product can interfere with the cycling process and can give you a false sense of having a cycled tank. I would suggest that you stop using this product, if you haven't already, and use Prime to condition the water. Prime will help to protect your fish while the cycle completes. You should complete a 50% water change daily and dose 1-2 time the standard Prime dose to keep your fish healthy.

Good luck!
 
  • Thread starter

Damon

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Experience
1 year
catsma_97504 said:
Welcome to Fishlore Damon!

Often the NO2 spike is so quick that it can be missed. I'd continue to monitor the water parameters daily. Is this the tank in your profile? Or, is this a new tank you are cycling? I will assume this is the tank in your profile, which is stocked with fish. If I am incorrect, please correct me.

Your profile indicates that you are using Cycle. Often this product can interfere with the cycling process and can give you a false sense of having a cycled tank. I would suggest that you stop using this product, if you haven't already, and use Prime to condition the water. Prime will help to protect your fish while the cycle completes. You should complete a 50% water change daily and dose 1-2 time the standard Prime dose to keep your fish healthy.

Good luck!
oh yes yes i have stopped using "cycle" a few weeks ago. gotta update the profile...it was stocked with fish and had a massive amonnia spike so i rehomed the fish and am finishing the cycle fishless now. I am only using Prime and am doing about 40% changes daily
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
Yes, updating your profile would be in order. As your tank is now fishless, what ammonia source are you using?
 
  • Thread starter

Damon

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Experience
1 year
catsma_97504 said:
Yes, updating your profile would be in order. As your tank is now fishless, what ammonia source are you using?
Well the tank was through the roof with ammonia (4.0+)when i took the fish out. since then i added some fish flakes. I have heard of adding household ammonia but i just dont know if that is necessary in my case since i have already had a spike and nitrates have formed. Seems like i would be going through a second spike.
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
You need to push the ammonia levels up to 2PPM daily when using pure ammonia (make sure it does not have additives or mixed with soap); or add a piece of raw shrimp/fish in a nylon stocking.

If you do not replenish the ammonia daily or the BB colony will be unable to grow and stabilize.

I see you have another thread on this same subject. Maybe you should ask one of the mods to merge them?
 
  • Thread starter

Damon

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Experience
1 year
catsma_97504 said:
You need to push the ammonia levels up to 2PPM daily when using pure ammonia (make sure it does not have additives or mixed with soap); or add a piece of raw shrimp/fish in a nylon stocking.

If you do not replenish the ammonia daily or the BB colony will be unable to grow and stabilize.

I see you have another thread on this same subject. Maybe you should ask one of the mods to merge them?
hmmm i see. having to push it up makes sense. but if i keep pushing it up how do i know when to stop?
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
The above link is to a lengthy posting, but it is very informative in regards to cycling a tank with ammonia.

When adding pure ammonia daily, add enough to push it up into the 2-3 PPM range. Then, test your water parameters after 24-hours. As the BB colony grows, you will eventually have 0 ammonia at this point. Also, by adding more ammonia, the BB will produce more nitrite and you will eventually have measurable levels.....something you were concerned with.
 
  • Thread starter

Damon

New Member
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
86
Experience
1 year
thank u so much...i will get on that in the morning. will keep you posted how it goes
 

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,982
Reaction score
185
Points
308
You're very welcome.

Good luck cycling your tank!
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom