Nitrite at 1.0

Lcprada

Reaction score
Do I do a water change ? My nitrite is at 1.0 ammonia is 0.25. I have a betta in 10 gallon tank. I use prime but this is the first time I’ve seen high readings. I know I’m in the middle of the cycle but should I do a water change or just use prime and wait for the nitrate to rise and nitrites to go down?

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Lcprada

Reaction score
Won’t this slow my cycle? I am using prime. Won’t that protect my fish?

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lcprada said:
Won’t this slow my cycle? I am using prime. Won’t that protect my fish?
Someone here will answer that question for you. Good luck.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It shouldn't. I shoot for .25 since I don't use a dechlorinator at all.

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prime only detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours. Long enough for you to do a water change and get it down into safe range. It does not protect your fish indefinitely so I would do at least a 50% water change.

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you do water changes to keep combined ammonia and nitrites at 1 ppm or below, your fish will be fine and there will still be enough ammonia to feed the cycle. If you do water changes based on test readings, you'll end up doing water changes every day or every other day while your tank is cycling. Prime neutralizes ammonia and nitrites, so that helps protect your fish as well.

In my opinion you should be doing water changes with Prime instead of just dosing Prime to neutralize the toxins. It's much better to just remove the toxins.

Lcprada

Reaction score
Okay that is what I have been doing. I thought I was doing to many water changes. I was doing a water change almost every day to keep ammonia down. But since I posted that I just checked my nitrites again and it’s back to o after adding the prime and no water change. What happened? Does prime actually change the reading or do nitrites fluctuate that fast? I’m totally confused I’m going to show pics This is with in one hour. No water change just adding prime
28FF726C-8806-43AE-82FF-2700B201071D.jpeg

Attachments

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's possible you had a false positive the first time or a false negative now. Those test can be so finicky.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
NLindsey921 said:
It's possible you had a false positive the first time or a false negative now. Those test can be so finicky.
+ or minus .25

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well the nitrate is at about 0ppm so yeah when is the last time you have changed out the water?

Lcprada

Reaction score
Yesterday

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It can be tricky to read the test results. I usually try to have a white background (like you're doing) but I hold the tube over the color column on the chart, about an inch or so above the card. I would read your tests with a little higher ammonia and some nitrites, maybe .5 each. If that's accurate, it would seem to indicate your cycle is progressing like it should.

Ammonia should keep dropping and go away. Nitrite will probably try to rise, while you'll do water changes to keep the levels down. Then nitrite will show lower readings, then go away, and all you'll have is nitrates.

Keep the replacement water temp close to your tanks, and make sure you add water conditioner, and keep doing water changes like you've been. Those tests actually look really good from a standpoint of what I'd expect to see at the mid point of cycling.

Lcprada

Reaction score
Am I doing to many water changes? I have a 10 gallon tank and it’s been cycling for 4 weeks

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Reaction score

Lcprada

Reaction score
Ok because I have heard so many different opinions. I want to keep my fish safe but I also want the tank to cycle. I really don’t care how long it takes as long as I’m not stopping it or slowing it by changing the water every time I see a ammonia or nitrites reading

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lcprada said:
Am I doing to many water changes? I have a 10 gallon tank and it’s been cycling for 4 weeks
I think you're doing it right and making the right decisions. You can get a lot of help from folks, but you're still the one who is sitting there in front of your aquarium. Prime will neutralize toxins for what, 48 hours? So if you do water changes every other day, you're getting double protection, the water change, and the Prime. I'd be watching for the test readings to start moving in the right direction.

Another good sign is that you haven't said anything about your fish having trouble.

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Lcprada said:
Ok because I have heard so many different opinions. I want to keep my fish safe but I also want the tank to cycle. I really don’t care how long it takes as long as I’m not stopping it or slowing it by changing the water every time I see a ammonia or nitrites reading
Well I would check the tank chemistry daily looking for a nitrate to become readable then you can add more fish. Then I would change say 50% of tank water if the nitrate levels get above 40ppm. If it stays below 40ppm then change the water for 20% once weekly.

Lcprada

Reaction score
My fish seem fine but like I said as soon as I see a little change in the readings of the tests I do a water change. As long as I’m not keeping my tank so clean it doesn’t cycle. I guess that’s my concern

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't use a dechlorinator since I have a well I shoot for .25 ammonia or nitrates. So basically .5 total. Anything over that a partial water change. If prime does or doesn't do what it claims is beyond me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom