Nitrates

Cajun56

Ok so I've been having this problem for about 3 weeks now in both my 90 gallon tank and my 10 gallon tank. My nirites and ammonia are at 0ppm but my nitrates are stupid high around 80-100 ppm. I've done 50% water changes. I always do them every 2 weeks. I just cleaned the filters out thinking that was it but it didn't help. Any advice would help. I've never had this problem the 90 has been up for almost a year and the 10 gallon around 4 months. I did add osmacote root tabs about a month ago could that be the issue?

Ghelfaire

Try doing weekly water changes instead of every two weeks. You should also test your tap water to see if it has nitrates in it.

Cajun56

I was going to start doing weekly and I tested my tap water earlier and it was at 0. Is nitrates being at 80-100ppm going to kill my fish. I've lost one fish since and it was a corydora its been like this for 3 weeks

Ghelfaire

It's definitely stressful and can be dangerous. You should do a couple of back to back water changes to trh to bring it down.

Cajun56

Back to back water changes won't hurt my tank? I just changed my sponges on my canister yesterday too

Ghelfaire

No bb should also be living in your substrate or on the decorations. If you dont feel comfortable then you can do a couple of smaller back to back water changes over a couple of days.

Cajun56

Ok ill try it out and see. Do you think it could be the osmacote root tabs?

Ghelfaire

Honestly I'm not sure.

AvalancheDave

No, they won't even notice 80-100 ppm.

Cajun56

AvalancheDave said:
No, they won't even notice 80-100 ppm.
So when would the notice at what point?

AvalancheDave

Cajun56 said:
So when would the notice at what point?
96-hr LC50 for fish is usually >4,000.

It could be the root tabs. I would take them out and see if that helps.

I would also look for any hidden sources of organic waste. I was helping someone on Facebook who was doing a lot of water changes but nitrate kept rocketing back up. My first advice was to clean the substrate and filter but that didn't do anything. A few weeks later he said he figured out the problem: he hadn't thoroughly examined his canister filter and there was actually a huge mass of organic waste.

Cajun56

Its going to be almost impossible to take the osmacote root tabs out.

Cajun56

Could adding puragin to my filter help?

Top Bottom